585,700 active members*
3,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > VFD in same enclosure with stepper drivers, ETC

VFD in same enclosure with stepper drivers, ETC

I've purchased a fairly large Hoffman enclosure and plan on putting all my electronics for a G0704 CNC conversion inside. There are two power supplies, a break out board, Intel NUC, smoother stepper and stepper drivers..AND, a Hitachi WJ200 drive. Has anyone had any issues with noise and/or problems with a drive in the same enclosure as all of the other electronics?

Thanks,

Stuart

Re: VFD in same enclosure with stepper drivers, ETC

If everything it properly wired, and properly grounded, it will cause no problems whatsoever.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    If everything it properly wired, and properly grounded, it will cause no problems whatsoever.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Great..I'll proceed with that assumption, thanks.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    I've purchased a fairly large Hoffman enclosure and plan on putting all my electronics for a G0704 CNC conversion inside. There are two power supplies, a break out board, Intel NUC, smoother stepper and stepper drivers..AND, a Hitachi WJ200 drive. Has anyone had any issues with noise and/or problems with a drive in the same enclosure as all of the other electronics?

Thanks,

Stuart
    As mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue but you should take extra care to properly utilize shielded wire runs and tie the drain wire to ground at the control side only to avoid ground loops. I would do this for all of the incoming and outgoing control runs.

I have my VFD located in the cabinet and have never had a glitch or issue from it but I also followed automation directs guide using line filters on both incoming and outgoing power leads to the VFD and motor along with an EMI Filter. The line filters will help keep harmonic distortions or surges from the VFD from back feeding into and sensitive electronics connected to the same power source.

I know some who have shipped those steps and gotten away with it and others who chased issues with noise. I think if your wiring runs are done correctly your be less likely to have issues without the extra parts, but I figured I'd go the way they paid it out from the manufacturer to be safe and give myself a chance.

When routing wires (assuming you'll be using cable raceway to keep it neat and clean, is direct nothing less from an assist with build) take care to try and keep power lines sister as best as possible from control signal wires. I know it's not possible to keep them completely separated, but the conscious effort to minimize it will give you the best result. Keep all wire runs as short and direct as possible and DO NOT cool up extra wire length. For your computer to BOB use a quality shielded cable as short as possible and if you do have a little extra length for it tight rather that doing the extra up.

Hope that helps! I'm assembling my lathe control cabinet right now. Get ready to have fun!! Lol. This is by far the least glamorous or fun part of the job and is tedious as can be, but it is reading rewarding to have a nice neat and clean cabinet!

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Chris,

Thank you for your great suggestions...I'll keep them in mind when we get to the wiring stage.

Stuart

I have always mounted everything in the same enclosure, I even had two VFD's in the enclosure, both in operation simultaneously.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.