584,879 active members*
5,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ghost in an Acramatic 850sx

I'm servicing a Cincinnati Milacron Avenger driven by an Acramatic 850sx. Old, I know. The problem is that any time the power is on, maybe 10 - 15 times a day, it goes into "single block" mode, performs a block, and stops. I can then continue the program or not, as I choose. It does this anytime, any program, running it not. It's not the console, not vibration. It's in the controller somewhere.
    Anyone ever see anything like this?

Re: Ghost in an Acramatic 850sx

And you think anyone in the Tormach forum will even know what a Cincinnati Milacron Avenger, or an Acramatic 850sx even is..... why??

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    And you think anyone in the Tormach forum will even know what a Cincinnati Milacron Avenger, or an Acramatic 850sx even is..... why??

Regards,
    Ray L.
    the Avenger is an old Lathe, and the 850sx is an antique controller that is so old, they still thought RS232 was a pretty neat idea....
    ok, so I just did a a google search... I really have no clue...
    does the 850sx use 8" floppies?
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

I think I had that problem with one long ago. Or maybe it was an Acroloc. Way oil got low, stayed in permanent single block until cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    the Avenger is an old Lathe, and the 850sx is an antique controller that is so old, they still thought RS232 was a pretty neat idea....
    ok, so I just did a a google search... I really have no clue...
    does the 850sx use 8" floppies?
    The Acramatic 850 control I have used (don't remember if it was an SX or other) didn't have a floppy at all. Programs had to be loaded via RS232 port which was in the back of the mill. We didn't have a cable long enough to reach the front (that still worked anyway) so I had to set up the laptop in the back, walk around to the control and tell it to receive an upload, run around to the back and hit send on the laptop before the controller timed out, which it did in about 10 seconds. In 1997 we got a machine with a 2100 control with a 3.5" floppy drive on the front, it was like greatest thing since sliced bread. I could write a program in my office, copy to a disk and just go put it right into the machine. What a concept!

I never had an issue with them going into single block mode.

You'll probably get a better answer by posting this question on the CINCINNATI CNC Forum.
    That being said, Good Luck!
    Cincinnati Milacron is no longer supported, you can't find parts, and there's no tech support anymore.
    A shop I worked at in the late 90's early 2000's was full of Cincy Avengers, Sabres, Maxims, Arrows, etc. and one-by-one, they all died ugly deaths.
    Shop owners tried saving them, and kept them limping along for as long as they could, but eventually they all went to the scrapper. Replaced with cheap, Taiwanese Mighty Viper mills & lathes.