585,712 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Acrylic Machine

I was wondering if anyone has created a DIY desktop CNC machine out of Acrylic... I have access to a laser cutter and I think it'd be a nice gift to my cousin to make a little CNC machine for him to play with.

I'm almost done creating a small router out of aluminum, but to replicate it would be too expensive for a gift.

Matt

Acrylic CNC

Quote Originally Posted by dksoba View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has created a DIY desktop CNC machine out of Acrylic... I have access to a laser cutter and I think it'd be a nice gift to my cousin to make a little CNC machine for him to play with.

I'm almost done creating a small router out of aluminum, but to replicate it would be too expensive for a gift.

Matt
    A lot of mine is acrylic. Take a look.

www.ProjectCNC.wordpress.com

I've seen this discussed before and the consensus always comes out to a no. Why not build him one out of MDF useing your new machine to cut it?

JJobezo, am I missing something or is that one not very practical? It doesn't look to me the dremmil will ever be able to get close enough to the table to cut anything.

Quote Originally Posted by IQChallenged View Post
    A lot of mine is acrylic. Take a look.

www.ProjectCNC.wordpress.com
    That's a sexy machine but your machine is dressed in acrylic and not made from it... On a side note, can you explain how you lower and raise your z axis? Also do you have a video of your machine anywhere? I'm trying to wrap my brain around a few parts on it but I think I would understand it better if I saw it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    I've seen this discussed before and the consensus always comes out to a no. Why not build him one out of MDF useing your new machine to cut it?

JJobezo, am I missing something or is that one not very practical? It doesn't look to me the dremmil will ever be able to get close enough to the table to cut anything.

I'll probably end up doing that (making it out of MDF). Using a laser cutter would allow me to make it faster since I can cut parts out much quicker, but it's not THAT much faster. I need to finish my machine first though, I guess.

Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post

I don't know what the builder was working on or how it was mounted to the table. It can easily be lower by just gluing the router holder lower.

A little off topic but is there anyway to see the other pages of your site, IQChallenged. I was checking it out the other day, and wondered where all the missing pages are.

more on the plexi

can you explain how you lower and raise your z axis? No. I'm the only one who knows. Kidding. There's a rack bolted to the back of the router bracket. A stepper motor inside the plexi case moves it up and down. Another motor in the plexi case engages another rack for the X axis.

do you have a video of your machine anywhere? Only a few days ago got a new camera so that I could.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SS8aT-D-IQ"]YouTube- Plexiglass CNC[/ame]

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by plasidboyy View Post
    A little off topic but is there anyway to see the other pages of your site, IQChallenged. I was checking it out the other day, and wondered where all the missing pages are.

I don't know why you mean. Missing pages? My link below should take you to the home page. Then, there's a list of other pages on the right of that page. It's kinda crapped up right now because I've been using the blog to show off my PinchBlox. But I have a dedicated site for that now. So my CNC blog is still... www.ProjectCNC.wordpress.com.
    Thank you for asking. I appreciate it.

I really like your store and I think you hit the price right on the nose. If you wouldn't mind, please take a look at my cnc mill's table top. I'm going to be redoing the whole machine in aluminum and steel soon but I'm thinking I will keep the same sort of slot setup as it's very handy. Do you think your clamps will work well for it? Also, how do you feel about useing your clamps with shims to hold down different thicknesses of materiel other than 1/2 and 3/4's? http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=94047&page=2

Now as far as your machine goes, really like the cable management.

Quote Originally Posted by IQChallenged View Post
    I don't know why you mean. Missing pages? My link below should take you to the home page. Then, there's a list of other pages on the right of that page.
    It skips from page 15 to page 123. Just thought some pages were missing. Anyways, nice machine.