584,812 active members*
5,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sign too large to CNC machine

I have a techno 3024 router. I would like to be able to mill a sign that is 48" long. Since my router only has a capacity of 30" x24" is this even possible? I was toying with the idea of milling half of the sign and then moving the piece on the bed to mill the other half. However, I am not sure if I would have to draw the sign in two separate parts and have a separate code for each part or if I am able to draw the sign as one and can set it up to only mill half at a time. I can use either Mastercam or Inventor CAM to produce the sign. Please help.

Re: Sign too large to CNC machine

I can't help with details, but yes that is how you'd do it. I would design in some alignment pins to make the move more accurate.

It works just fine. Take your drawing and draw line dividing the drawing into two parts making sure it can slide through your machine so it can be positioned for each piece. You can sometimes provide extend lines that are actually overlap for each half. The use of tooling pins can be used or careful reference lines to ensure correct positioning

Russ

So you are saying that I need to draw it as two separate parts or I can divide it later? Is there a tool in the computer program to do so?

Cut it in half after the drawing is complete. Do a search for "Arclightcnc sheetcam index cut"
    The video uses sheetcam and Mach3 but if you use something else it will still show you how the basics of the process are done.

That's an interesting challenge. Here's an interesting solution. Set up a 4th axis to feed a sliding sub table along the x axis. That would be a lot of fun especially if you routinely cut oversized parts. Just saying, there's more you can do with a 4th.

What version of mastercam you got there?

That`s an easy task for profiling cut, divide your drawing into two pieces, CAM work on the first half then stop, move your material to fit the table again, re align the tool bit on the halted portion of the material, continue cutting then voila a whole cut piece on a divided CAM work

That is a great idea! I never thought of doing that. I could essentially double the size of my work space using the 4th axis. I was actually able to divide my sign into two pockets by sketching a thin dividing "wall" between the A and R. I then just had to mill one pocket, adjust the sign and mill the other pocket. I was left with a very thin strip in the middle that I was able to remove with a chisel. It turned out great.