585,754 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying used Mill

Hello All

I am in the process of starting up a machine shop and we are looking at some used Haas Mills
    Specifically
    Haas VF-5/50 5-Axis (2007)
    Haas VM-3 5-Axis (2005)

We are purchasing the Mills from a reputable used Equipment dealer.

What advice do you have to help me make sure we purchase a good machine?
    Are there any specific known problems or parts on these sepcfic machines I should take a look at?
    I assume the machines are not currently set up.
    It seems the best way to test them would be to run some parts on them and see how good the tolerances are, but I do not think we have that option.
    Can a visual / mechaincal inspection by one of our experienced employees ever guarantee we are not getting a "Lemon"

any advice would be appreciated.

A

Re: Buying used Mill

Try calling your local HFO with the serial numbers and get a history report. They may offer to inspect the machine at an hourly rate also.

Pardon me, what does "HFO" stand for?

That's Haas Factory Outlet.

I bought a used TM-3P last year and had a good overall experience working with the HFO in Dallas, TX. There are myriad potential problems so I'd be very cautious with a machine that isn't under power to be inspected. I'd say it's well worth talking to the HFO about service history and even paying them to check the machine out in its current location. I work with used laboratory instrumentation professionally and also make a policy of dramatically lowering offers on hardware which cannot be inspected properly ahead of time. There's a great deal of added risk involved and it's completely reasonable to expect that to affect the price.

Good luck!

Ken

What djr76 said. I bought a mill from a reputable dealer and it had problems. After I got it my Haas guy looked it up and told me it was "rough."
    The first machine I bought about ten years ago was a peach, so I expected the same this time.
    Learning my lesson, I don't buy anything without seeing it first and getting any report that I can.
    Regards, Ray
    ​"There is no such thing as a gun free zone."
    Ray Brandes, Ray-Vin.Com, PCB, FL 32408 USA

Hello R Brandes
    thanks for the feed back.
    Was the Haas guy able to define what he meant by "rough". Any specific parts that are generally an issue?
    I was given to understand that the parts that make the machine run well and be precise are all replacable. So while it might cost more money a machine is rarely not workable.
    Do you agree?
    A

Andreas,
    Well, I had the machine some time before I hooked up with my Haas rep. Here is what was wrong with it;
    Lots of table hits from drills and end mills.
    Tee slots were over-tightened and need to be filed out before tee nuts would go through.
    Brass wipers in the back were done and for so long there was a big pile of chips down in the motor area. There was even a shop rag in there!
    The 4th axis drive was blown.
    Door wheels broken.
    Z axis chip shield banged up.
    Side windows broken.
    Since owning the machine I have replaced the brass wipers,
    door wheels, both ends with lexan (plexiglass sucks!) the Z axis chip shields,
    several limit switches, rebuilt the gear shifter, rebuilt the tool cylinder.
    Just recently we have the spindle reground ($2500). It needed it from the start, but I kept putting it off.
    That about does it.
    You should either see the machine yourself or pay to have someone inspect it.
    Regards, Ray
    ​"There is no such thing as a gun free zone."
    Ray Brandes, Ray-Vin.Com, PCB, FL 32408 USA

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas1120 View Post
    Hello All

I am in the process of starting up a machine shop and we are looking at some used Haas Mills
    Specifically
    Haas VF-5/50 5-Axis (2007)
    Haas VM-3 5-Axis (2005)

We are purchasing the Mills from a reputable used Equipment dealer.

What advice do you have to help me make sure we purchase a good machine?
    Are there any specific known problems or parts on these sepcfic machines I should take a look at?
    I assume the machines are not currently set up.
    It seems the best way to test them would be to run some parts on them and see how good the tolerances are, but I do not think we have that option.
    Can a visual / mechaincal inspection by one of our experienced employees ever guarantee we are not getting a "Lemon"

any advice would be appreciated.

A
    Ask the selling dealer if there is power available to the machine. You can power the machine up and do some simple inspections without the machine being totally "set up".
    Assuming you can get power to the machine, run the spindle, jog all axis, perform tool change, check alarm history, and inspect for overall condition and clues as to how it was cared for. Pull back way covers and inspect ball screws and linear guides. If you cannot get power to the machine you will be limited to what you can visually see.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas1120 View Post
    Can a visual / mechanical inspection by one of our experienced employees ever guarantee we are not getting a "Lemon"
    There are never any guarantees!

As others have said, contact your local Haas dealer (HFO) and ask them for any service details. Ask about having the machine inspected by the HFO tech unless you are comfortable with your "experienced employees" looking things over.

Good luck!

I have it on good advice that the 5 axis Haas mills are only good for wood, not metal.
    But that was a VR10 I think so Take that FWIW.

Where I am now we have two newish VF3s with 2 speed gearboxes. They are pretty good. Better than Fadals were in most all respects, but that umbrella TC and air powered drawbar are almost as bad.

I would Never buy a used machine if it wasnt under power.