584,802 active members*
4,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

retrofit Z axis, shoptask

Hey JT, I recently retrofitted the Z axis on my 1990 Shoptask mill. I Completely eliminated the worm gear and the rack and pinion which was part of the original design. the new configuration works very well. I am attaching a few photos, thought there may be a few individuals who may be interested. One question I would like to know is the approximate weight of the machine with out a stand. Thanks a lot. Hope the pics are attached

Re: retrofit Z axis, shoptask

Would love to see your work, but no pictures

ya, I would like for you to see them, I did put pics on before, thought I did today too, I converted them to jpeg and and opened them but apparently nothing happened Can I still attach to the old post or thread, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by CAD226B View Post
    Can I still attach to the old post or thread, thanks for the help.
    If the Edit Post is still available to you, then you should be able to add pics.

ok ,thanks, I will try to get the photos on sap, maybe not tonight though, thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 036jpg.jpg  

ok ,thanks, I will try to get the photos on sap, maybe not tonight though, thanks
    Nice work- I see you also modified the lathe spindle to a thread-on chuck. 27 years old and still working!

Looks good! I like the E-stop on the back of the computer

Thanks all, the last question was satisfied. The new ones are (1) since I did change the I and J to Incremental it seems that the screen display shows a circle as an oval (long the X axis) how to remedy this? (2) and also when I home the machine and move to center of X and Y axis more or less and I load a g-code that is not out of limits , the display shows that it is by stating aborted ...etc, I did get the bottle of Jim Beam but I haven't opened it yet, thanks for all the help!

CAD226B, I've got a Bridgemill and I'd like to put ballscrews on my Z (actually all 3 axis). Any chance you have drawings of what you did that you would be willing to share?

dgapilot, Though I did respond the same day you posted, I will try it again, I never had real working drawings for the retro fit, only a bunch of PAINT sketches that only I could probably use. On the Shoptask I started with the existing mounting plate and attached a vertical .5" x was it 4" wide CRS with a sliding 3" piece of cold rolled steel for the end mount for ball screw pillow block made of .5" aluminum stock. this is attached to the horizontal bracket which was bored to the size of the existing Shoptask spindle. The only other help I could provide is more photos. good luck !

Nice job ... looks more rugged then the kit they offered years ago to make the Z ballscrew

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    CAD226B, I've got a Bridgemill and I'd like to put ballscrews on my Z (actually all 3 axis). Any chance you have drawings of what you did that you would be willing to share?
    Hey dgapilot, I just ran across some of the old drawings for retro fit Z axis that may be of some use to you if you are still interested. If you are, please let me know and I will forward them to you.. I am not sure how to do it but I think the best way would be to send then in email. or ? Have a good one. About 5 or 6 sheets.

Hey dgapilot, I just ran across some of the old drawings for retro fit Z axis that may be of some use to you if you are still interested. If you are, please let me know and I will forward them to you.. I am not sure how to do it but I think the best way would be to send then in email. or ? Have a good one. About 5 or 6 sheets.
    I'd certainly be interested in seeing those prints, looking at an update on my xtmc!!! Thanks!

ok techsol, I would have to say that generally these drawings which were done before the stabilizer bar was built are really just sketches on paint that may be helpful to you. Although they are drawn to scale there is by no means enough detail for a machine shop to be able to produce them and fit them to a shop task machine or other similar milling machines. If you are still interested please let me know and I'll get to sketches to you soon as possible. And the best method of doing so. Thanks TG

ok techsol, I would have to say that generally these drawings which were done before the stabilizer bar was built are really just sketches on paint that may be helpful to you. Although they are drawn to scale there is by no means enough detail for a machine shop to be able to produce them and fit them to a shop task machine or other similar milling machines. If you are still interested please let me know and I'll get to sketches to you soon as possible. And the best method of doing so. Thanks TG
    Hi Cadd226b, would certainly like to see if not a big deal, extra thoughts and detail always help. Thanks!

Good morning techsol, there are 10 sketches I really don't want to attach them to this site. It would be much easier to send them by email to you, only if that is acceptable by CNC zone. So I will give you my email address which is [email protected] and we can go from there, thanks.