584,874 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Option: Extended Z-Axis Clearance; 3.0" additional clearance???

Haas Option: Extended Z-Axis Clearance; 3.0" additional clearance???

Has anyone used / have experience with the Haas option: Extended Z-Axis Clearance; 3.0" additional clearance? We are about to purchase a new Haas and want to know if there are any downsides to the option. I know that it replaces the T-Slots with 1/2-13 threaded holes, which is fine because I prefer it to T-Slots.

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Re: Haas Option: Extended Z-Axis Clearance; 3.0" additional clearance???

Velocitycnc

keep in mind it will reduce reach to the table with tools. there is a raiser block installed under z axis colum that raises entire z axis up travel stays the same but reach to table becomes further away , if this makes any sense

Quote Originally Posted by mulder_25 View Post
    Velocitycnc

keep in mind it will reduce reach to the table with tools. there is a raiser block installed under z axis colum that raises entire z axis up travel stays the same but reach to table becomes further away , if this makes any sense
    Yes, does make sense. Thank you, mulder_25!

I think i made a mistake giving you this information

There are 2 similar options
    "table spacers 3.0" and "Extended Z-Axis Clearance"
    table spacer brings table up so you can use shorter tools to reach the table
    or extended z-axis clearance that raises entire z column up, this option would required longer tools to reach the table but you overall z travel stays the same with both options. Not every machine configuration will have either or both

sorry for the confusion

I figured with fixtures and vises--the work pieces would never really need to be reached at the lowest point on the table. The 3 years we've had our current VF2 (regular table), we've never machined anything off the table; mostly on vices or on the 4th axis tombstone. Just wondering if there are any other downsides of the table and not having T-Slots...

I personally prefer t-slot table, give me ability to position my vice/fixtures anywhere along t-slot and not being confined to particular position, i have encounter once machine without regular table i can not say i was delighted nor particularly disappointed. It will all depend on type of fixtures and vices you use. Consider this, once thread is stripped from the hole your options are either adding helicoil insert or re tapping it with size bigger versus getting new t-slot nut. Those are my concerns. And you can always bolt on steel plate to table with custom pattern of mounting holes.It does not work well other way. Hope this helps. Since you thinking of purchasing new machine consider type of spindle either direct drive or gear box, both have advantages and disadvantages

You make some good points. Appreciate it!