584,837 active members*
5,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: $600 all in cost - 2x2 first CNC

Thanks Fred, my acceleration settings were indeed at the default value. Increasing them helped.

I'm in the process of creating a spoilerboard with T-tracks for clamping. I plan on
    surfacing it with a 1/2 straight cut bit. Anything in particular I should watch out for ?

BTW, I discovered an android app called : GRBL Controller. It works great as a gcode sender. No need to turn on the PC. I installed it on an old android phone and connected directly with the arduino uno using a usb otg cable . It even uses the new GRBL 1.1 jogging commands ($J) for instant manual movement control and feedback.

First Project

I've been working on my first project - a 80 mm x 80 mm x40 mm box. Here are a few parts cut and fit after a little sanding. Machine is working well so far. My feed rate was set to 900mm/s. Currently i'm only running on a 12v power supply. I'll upgrade to the 24v over the weekend.

My tool chain and workflow is to first design the parts in inkscape (OS is linux), then export to SVG. Import into Carbide Create (running in Wine) and generate the tool paths. Finally, move the files to an old cell phone and use Grbl Controller as the gcode sender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180420_064514.jpg  

First Project

below are the a few pics of the completed box.

Additional updates:

1. upgraded to the 24 V power supply and can now jog at 80 ipm which is faster than I need
    2. cleaned up the wiring and attached the driver boards in the permanent location
    3. installed a dual switch receptacle for the PSU and router

Re: Wiring cleanup, mouting boards, and drivers

Congrats on finishing the machine, the first one is the hardest, the next one will be much easier

I noticed you did a few things different than the plans, the biggest being the lack of bolts used to separate the rails, how did you mange to get everything tightened up? I originally tried to shims but I was not happy with the process, or the end result.

Were there any particular parts you struggled with, or things that you think could be done in a different way?

What do you think about GRBL? I bought an adapter for one of the parallel control boards I have and played with a bit, it's hard for me to say I like it when I have been using Linux CNC for so long. My biggest concern was the delay when jogging, I had to kill power several times to keep from hitting the bearing mounts (no limits switches), hopefully that was just something I needed to configure better.

I need to make several small updates to the plans for things that I noticed when helping a friend build a 2x4 gantry version, but my new job and life changes have made it difficult to get back into the cnc life... if we could just add 1 more day to the week I think I could manage... assuming I had it off.

Thanks Don! Overall I think your design is great for an inital hobby CNC am very pleased with the machine. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowlege and the satification of building your own CNC machine and watching it work is priceless.

I ended up using shims instead bolts and did have a tough time getting the rails alligned. They still have a little play in them but I moved on and may revisit this in the future.

If I were to advice someone building a first DIY hobby machine, I would say consider the overseas SBR or profile rails. These days, they only cost about a hundred bucks more over skate or v groove bearing linear motion solutions for a machine this size. It will save hours of work and aggrevation and likely make a better machine.

GRBL is great! Intially, I had the same jogging issue with GRBL. But version 1.1 of GRBL supports real time jogging. I use "GRBL Controller" (an Andriod App) as the gcode sender. See comment 61 for more details on this app.

I agree you gain a ton of knowledge building your first machine and make a lot of mistakes. I sort of agree that with so much of import stuff being available so cheap there are better options out there, but I like the fact that I can scale the DIY bearing and rails up for next to nothing. I am thinking about building a 4x8 upright machine that will only cost a few hundred dollars more than my 2x2 to complete, I like the challenge of doing more with less I guess, but I understand that a lot of people don't have time for that.

If you are up for it I would add the tension bolts, it is pretty easy to do and they make getting a nice tight fit on the rails much easier... still a little fidgety but much better than shims.

Thanks for the info on GRBL 1.1 and GRBL Conteoller, I am helping to hopefully finish a machine this weekend and will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygeek View Post
    I like the challenge of doing more with less I guess
    I compeletely agree. I enjoy this part of it myself.

Don - do you have any pics of some of the work you've done with your bootstrapcnc ? I'd be interested in seeing some of the finished work. Do post a few pics if you have some. Also, what kind of feeds, speeds and bits are you using for cutting 3/4 plywood and MDF ?

Good luck with the GRBL Controller and let me know how it works out for you.

Here is a selection of what I have done with the 2x2 moving table version I built, unfortunately I have gotten out of the habit of taking pictures so there aren't too many.

I generally use Diablo bits from the local Home Depot for profile cutting using passes half the width of the bit deep, my cutting sped is usually between 60 and 90 IPM.

For V-Groove cutting I have been using a Whiteside 1540 bit lately and have been happy with it (also 60 to 90 ipm). (The BSA Eagle is an example - only about 4 inches tall).
    The Bullshead sign was but with a cheap Yonico I got off ebay.

I used some really cheap bits from amazon to cutout the pvc plastic ring and fan grill (BQLZR New 1/8" Single Flute Carbide Engraving), 35 ipm I think.

The words are cut in cardstock using a drag knife (https://www.rockcliffmachine.com/pro...ife-bit-0-250/)

The last picture is a whiteboard pen on tileboard with a pen adapter printed from thingaverse.

A trick I have been using for a while is to set the ipm in the cam software to 100 ipm and then use the feed override (%) in LinuxCNC to actually set the speed I want to cut at... this allows me to adapt as needed to the bit/material combination. I also usually check the bit to see how hot it is after cutting (carefully) and adjust the speeds so that it is at most slightly warm (usually cool). You can tell I am very scientific about it

Attachment 391864Attachment 391866Attachment 391868Attachment 391870Attachment 391872Attachment 391874Attachment 391876Attachment 391878

Thanks for sharing the pics and your data driven methodology . I particularly like the BSA and Bulls head signs. Looking forwarding to creating better products as I gain some experience.

First I need to create a dust shoe and attach the shop vac before I start testing out the MDF.

started the machine back up after 2 years

I been playing with the CNC machine for a few weeks now after almost a 2 year hiatus. The latest upgrade has been setting up a bluetooth module on the arduino board and controlling the cnc wirelessly. My workflow is to design and CAM in Fusion 360, upload gcode to my phone and begin cutting.

https://youtu.be/IjJmSvDx6Qs

cut out knobs for hold down clamps

had fun with the CNC again this evening. I cut out 8 simple knobs.

Re: cut out knobs for hold down clamps

Junior2016, WOW ! ?????? excellent build for the budget. Now ya just gotta make some stuff for the wife. ?? cutting board with a drippings catch trough, wood serving bowls...
    Here are some I made years back.... I did have a small turntable running with the X and Z doing the shape cutting. Lots of glue up. Shape the bottom first, then the top, used double back carpet tape for work holding.

Attachment 439324
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	567C2158-AA84-4F5D-8DA0-0BE4A276B918.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	439326

Have fun with your great machine. Take a look at Inkscape with gcodetools extension.

Steve

Hi Steve - those bowls looks awesome! So far, I haven't tried anything with a contour on the Z axis. I will try that soon. I need some try some cuts with a ball end mill. Funny thing is I've only played with my machine for about 3-4 weeks and I'm already thinking of building a new one. I will fight the urge and try to get the most out of what I have for now.

https://youtu.be/vmpfgqQrR-U

The industry arena has shared a useful and beneficial blog post with us. You can get ratcheting wrench set from here with the lowest price. The all-in cost has been discussed over here. Things regarding CNC are elaborated. Information technology is getting more versatile.

Hi junior2016. Are you still running same cnc router or did you build another? I have been thinking of building this machine.

Page 4 of 4 234