584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 10 678910

Re: New MODBUSEZ SetUp Plugin For UCCNC

Hi Milosh,

The settings I previously posted should of worked. The frequency resolution box needs to be checked for the WJ200, and frequency needs to be sent as a single holding register per manual and settings above will do this. The Wj200 Modbus parameter settings are easily found with a google search so I'm assuming these are set correctly.

99.9% of times when helping trouble shoot ModbusEZ or Huanyang plugin the RS485 converter was the problem. This can be checked easily with a free or trial Serial Port Monitor and see if WJ200 is reading and replying. I post a link for a trial version SPM below.

https://www.eltima.com/products/serial-port-monitor/

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    Hi Milosh,

The settings I previously posted should of worked. The frequency resolution box needs to be checked for the WJ200, and frequency needs to be sent as a single holding register per manual and settings above will do this. The Wj200 Modbus parameter settings are easily found with a google search so I'm assuming these are set correctly.

99.9% of times when helping trouble shoot ModbusEZ or Huanyang plugin the RS485 converter was the problem. This can be checked easily with a free or trial Serial Port Monitor and see if WJ200 is reading and replying. I post a link for a trial version SPM below.

https://www.eltima.com/products/serial-port-monitor/

Dan
    Hi Dan,

I don't think adapter is an issue. It works with other computer under mach. WJ200 setting is unchanged as well. Only difference between this setup and old one is uccnc and modbus driver.

Thanks,
    Milosh

Could you post the settings/brains used for Mach3, that will certainly make easier to match.

Dan

I don't think adapter is an issue. It works with other computer under mach.
    Lot's of other have found the same to be true. For whatever reason, the adapters would work in Mach, but not UCCNC.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Using posted settings the snip pic below shows what plugin is sending to Serial Port on UCCNC startup.

01 05 00 00 00 00 cd ca

01 = Modbus address

05 = Modbus function (write to single coil)

00 00 = Hi/lo coil being written to.

00 00 = what's being written to coil (off)

cd ca = checksum

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Write to VFD for frequency

01 06 00 01 20 8d 01 af

01 = Modbus address

06 = Modbus function (single holding register)

00 01 = hi/lo register being written to.

20 8d = hi/lo what's being written to register 00 01 (20 8d hex = 8333 decimal) 8333HZ = 5000rpm

01 af = checksum

So if I seen what was working I could decipher where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Lot's of other have found the same to be true. For whatever reason, the adapters would work in Mach, but not UCCNC.
    Hi Gerry,

I think the converter is barely working in Mach3 like it's barley working in UCCNC. He is able to turn spindle on/off with UCCNC.

Where the problem is is when using the plus / minus or slider like in your screenset for override some of these cheap converters can't handle the speed the plugin is sending many different frequency's at.

Dan

A Serial Monitor dump view will show this.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the link. Here are some snapshots of the port. Beside rs232 to rs485 (com1). I have as well usb to rs485, so I tried with this one as well (com4).

COM1

Attachment 396008

and COM4

Attachment 396010

Just to be seen if there is any difference.

Attached are two files saved from monitoring program.

Milosh

p.s. It is not a problem to order some confirmed converter. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Milosh,

When you start a session with serial monitor could you please just check dump view for pics?

The zip file you attached won't extract says file corrupt so I can't load.

Thanks,
    Dan

Here it is Dan,

Attachment 396022

and here is the file

Please change the extension to SPM.

Thanks
    Milosh

Hi Milosh,

Thanks! Your snip tells a lot, not owning a WJ200 I don't have the opportunity to read response from the wj200 and can only go by manual and others.

Your RS485 converter is working perfectly and you can see every line written to vfd it is responding to.

The Wj200 is accepting the on/off byte array (05) but it is NOT accepting the holding register for frequency(06). Once we determine why I'm absolutely sure we can make it work. According to manual frequency is sent with a single holding register but obviously not working, I can give you a few things to try, but if your able to provide a Serial Port Monitor dump view like the 1 you just posted with UCCNC with Mach3 it will take away any guessing to where problem is when able to see what works.

Thanks,
    Dan

Ok...lets put aside how Mach3 is working and look at Serial Port data you posted and manual.

ModbusEZ sent holding register to set rpm to 5000 "01 06 00 01 20 8d checksum"

VFD responded with "01 86 22 checksum"............... 86 function and 22 code.

I think to resolve this is in your parameter settings with WJ200. See attached pic and following post.

Dan

I think changing parameter setting to "A001 = 2" or leave A001 = 3 and look at b031 parameter and change to 3 or 10. I took some snips from WJ200 manual and highlighted important values.

You can also post Mach3 settings that been working for me look at so I can guide you to those matched settings.

Dan,

You and I are thinking same thing. I connected to the VFD via Hitachi software and was able to set the rpm. It was good - it means that VFD is not faulty. Then I changed one of the parameters and saved it and then put back the same parameter and saved it and tried. And I have control of the rpm. YES. I am able to control the RPM.

At the end of this story, as you mentioned, something changed in the VFD and by simply uploading setup file everything started to work.

Dan, you are the MAN. First, big thank you for writing this driver, and then thank you very much for walking me through this and helping me to find a solution.

Milosh

p.s. Dan you' got a PM

BTW here is a nice setup of WJ200.

Does anyone actually have modbusez working with a delta VFD-M inverter (3HP)? It seems to do nothing for me. I've set Pr. 0 to 3 (RS485), Pr.1 to 3 (rs485), pr 88 to 01 (bus address), pr 89 to 1 (COM speed 9600), pr 92 to 03 (MODBUS RTU-8N2 protocol), pr. 157 to 1 (using modbus communication). On the modbus ez software, it sets to single holding register, on/off address 2000, freq address 2001, spindle on cw 0012 (according my manual), spindle on ccw 0022, spindle off 0001. I'm using a CH340T USB serial adapter( JBtek USB to RS485 Converter Adapter from Amazon). COM2/9600/8N2 on the port setting. Windows 10 recognizes the USB converter just fine.

I'm not sure where the prolem is. It could be the physical cable (I tested the two pins from the VFD and there was a DC voltage of about 4.5V between the two leads). It could be the VFD config, or modbusez itself. I've used the serial port monitor software and could not see modbusez doing anything during start up or after with the port.

Right now, I have it working fine with the traditional +10V PWM. I just hope to set the freq via modbusez and get the actual RPM back into the software. I'm not sure if modbus is suitable to be completely integrated into the safety circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by javabugz View Post
    Does anyone actually have modbusez working with a delta VFD-M inverter (3HP)? It seems to do nothing for me. I've set Pr. 0 to 3 (RS485), Pr.1 to 3 (rs485), pr 88 to 01 (bus address), pr 89 to 1 (COM speed 9600), pr 92 to 03 (MODBUS RTU-8N2 protocol), pr. 157 to 1 (using modbus communication). On the modbus ez software, it sets to single holding register, on/off address 2000, freq address 2001, spindle on cw 0012 (according my manual), spindle on ccw 0022, spindle off 0001. I'm using a CH340T USB serial adapter( JBtek USB to RS485 Converter Adapter from Amazon). COM2/9600/8N2 on the port setting. Windows 10 recognizes the USB converter just fine.

I'm not sure where the prolem is. It could be the physical cable (I tested the two pins from the VFD and there was a DC voltage of about 4.5V between the two leads). It could be the VFD config, or modbusez itself. I've used the serial port monitor software and could not see modbusez doing anything during start up or after with the port.

Right now, I have it working fine with the traditional +10V PWM. I just hope to set the freq via modbusez and get the actual RPM back into the software. I'm not sure if modbus is suitable to be completely integrated into the safety circuit.
    javabugz, post a link to your manual, I'm sure I can get you going or help determine where your trouble is.

Dan

The manual can be found here https://www.automatedpt.com/wp-conte...ser-Manual.pdf

Here is a page on the VFD from the manufacturer website https://www.deltaacdrives.com/delta-vfd022m21a/

I updated the serial driver and was able to see activities from UCCNC (write) to the COM port but no response from the VFD. I suspect I got the wrong pins out for the signal. Initially, I was using the two center pins (SG+ and SG-) but I probably need to use pin 5 and 6. The output uses RJ12 plug and I did not have any on hand so I used RJ11 phone jack. Apparently, that's probably wrong.

Does modbusez deal with writing error codes or reading error codes from the VFD? I'm not sure what the VFD would do if there is a fault in one of the motor (which would trigger an e-stop on my machine).

it is not recommended to control the start and stop via modbus. Yes it can be done, but consider if you loose communication how will you stop the drive. It is better to have a hardwired run/stop control. FWD, REV & RPM can all be controlled via modbus fine.

Have you checked your wiring, is the RJ11/RJ12 plug made off ok. Have you flipped the wiring around from +/-?
    Have you got termination resistors installed (120ohm or greater at each end)

Nothing jumps out at me, but I'm no modbus expert.

Some of the USB <> modbus devices have been reported as being defective (on occassion) and a new one normally sorts out the issue.... sometimes....

You can read whatever you want error code wise, however you must remember that modbus is a MASTER + SLAVE protocol, ie, the master (PC in this case) will ask the slave for whatever it wants in a loop to fill the registers of the uccnc modbus plugin. The drive will not "TELL" the PC anything.... the PC will just read the data..... thats why I suggest (each to their own, as I know this has been discussed before at length) to use a hardwired link for run/stop

Id wire it as SG+/SG- as when you look at the picture of the drive on 2-2 it shows 5&6 are reserved pins (for the remote display option?)

Thanks, robertspark. You are right about the SG+/SG- signal. I was able to get the communication going after replacing the usb adapter. I guess I'll be returning the faulty one. The serial port monitor shows communication R/W between the two but does not seem to activate the spindle. When doing a M3, I can hear the VFD fan started but spindle does not turn on.

I attached a session dump (txt) file

Hi Javabugz,

I see from the serial monitor data you posted your using multiple registers set in Modbus configure and in ModbusEZ manual shows to use single holding. I also see using multiple register it's sending 00 00 for frequency.That would be why you hear VFD click on but not spinning. I'm fairly certain something is not configured correctly.

If your able to post a screen pic of your Modbus EZ settings and post your .pro file in UCCNC I will be able to get to the bottom and narrow down your problem a lot quicker.

Dan

Dan - you are right that the session dump were taken when the setting was set to multiple registers. But I tried the single register option before that and it did the same thing. In fact, I tried single coil/multiple coil too with similar results.

I attached a dump taking with single register option and the screen shot. Keep in mind I was able to control the VFD/spindle speed with a traditional 10VDC PWM so I don't think the problem is in my UCCNC settings. I put the .pro in the zip file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (1).jpg  

Page 8 of 10 678910