585,712 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy 3040T-DQ CNC direct Arduino control

Hi,
    I am new to this CNC field. I recently purchased a 3040T-DQ CNC (USB CNC ROUTER ENGRAVER ENGRAVING CUTTER 3 AXIS 3040T-DQ BALL SCREW USB PORT | eBay) machine with controller. (on the way). I am planning to use this tool for a different application hence I need to control it with my application which is being developed with MS C#. This unit has a USB port but I am not sure if it like FTDI RS232 USB to serial) interface or pure USB. I have never used pure USB but much familiar with USB to serial interfaces. Any one knows what is this interface ? ( I want to make use of this controller as it is and not want to replace the controller with any arduino shields).
    Could some one shed some light about this ? Any help ? I mentioned about the arduino control since it uses simple USB to serial interface. In my real application, my C# will send the gCode to CNC controller when I have the connection. So trying to understand its interface/port info.
    This unit says it supports only USBCNC. Not yet sure where to find the application.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks,
    P.

Re: 3040T-DQ CNC direct Arduino control

The USB on that CNC unit means that instead of a parallel port it uses the USB for controlling the steppers, it`s a USB to serial type control board, you can use arduino or raspberrypi on that machine for a simple G-code programs, but for the machine stability you might end up controlling it with an old PC and control it with MACH 3, I tried one before but with some heavier codes sometimes it freezes in the middle of the program and sometimes it just crashes on the material, for a simple outlining and profiling program yes it can work but on a 3D complex codes you will end up why it just hang up and stop working.