585,741 active members*
4,794 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Chinese Laser Cutter: Need ASAP Advice on Customs Clearance Charges by AMASS

Chinese Laser Cutter: Need ASAP Advice on Customs Clearance Charges by AMASS

I bought a 1600mm x 1000mm laser cutter from JQ Laser in China for about $5k (give or take). Unit has all the typical options—chiller, 100watt laser tube, power supply, up down table, vent fan, etc. The total charges included deliver to Birmingham, Alabama. This is my first time buying a laser cutter.

So, I am working with AMASS to clear customs in NYC who was recommended by JQ Laser where the container was unloaded. They (AMASS) quoted me $180 to clear customs. The container was shipped on 1/27/17, crate arrived nyc on 2/22/17, and just cleared customs on 3/7/17. I just got an invoice for $1143 and was advised that the machine would be shipped by truck to a facility in my town and that I would need to pay for cfs warehouse charges in Birmingham to get it to my home. Here is a breakdown of the charges on the invoice:

CUSTOMS ENTRY FEE: 180.00
    ISF FILING: 153.78
    CUSTOMS DUTY: 75.00
    CUSTOMS BOND: 60.00
    OTHER GOVT AGENCY: 60.00
    CBP FDA: 89.00
    HANDLING CHARGE: 90.00
    SECURITY FEE: 25.00
    STRIPPING FEE: 92.25
    Others: 228.78
    ------------------------------------------
    Total: 1143.81

I am supposed to pay by money order or cashiers check. My contract (Alibaba) with JQ Laser was for deliver to Birmingham, so they appear to be honoring the contract. But, I researched this whole process pretty well and never imagined that clearing customs in the US would cost more than $500. $1143.81 seems outrageous.

HELP!:

1. Does anyone have experience with this and any idea why it would cost so much and is that amount reasonable?

2. What recourse do I have and what happens if I refuse to pay that amount in an attempt to negotiate them down.

3. Does anyone know a customs lawyer in NYC that I might hire to negotiate this invoice down?

4. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Russell

Re: Chinese Laser Cutter: Need ASAP Advice on Customs Clearance Charges by AMASS

Sounds strange and hope you get it made right.

Re: Chinese Laser Cutter: Need ASAP Advice on Customs Clearance Charges by AMASS

Most laser companies use customs brokers who are not the cheapest and get a kickback. That is the unfortunate reality. From what I have read, it is best to get a quote from a customs broker here in the states, preferably in your home town or as close as possible.

I am guessing a lawyer in NY is going to charge you big city rates to the point it doesn't make sense to hire them. Even with a good customs broker, you would still have to pay hundreds of dollars. Watch out for storage fees that add up fast if you delay trying to fight things!

That bundled misc fee looks suspicious. Make them break it out.

One reason for high fees even when the broker is legitimate is when the laser company uses the wrong classification codes. Users have reported saving a whole bunch of money when they got the coding optimized. Sorry, no, I don't know the details to pass along.
    "80 Watt” 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui 7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail)

Hi Russell,
    1. To be honest, $1143 is ordinary, and this cost doesn't include delivery to your door and duty yet.
    Your contract with JQ laser was for deliver to Brimingham, right? I think it doesn't cover the fees from your side.
    But as a responsible company, they should let you know the program first...
    2. I think you can't get the laser if you refuse to pay it. I really don't know what happen in finally..