585,604 active members*
3,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PM-25MV conversion

Hi All,

I just finished a CNC conversion on a PM-25MV machine. It is a brand new machine using Arizona99's kit (which is fantastic). Anyway, I did not run the machine very much before the conversion, but now that it is converted, I've been playing. My longest run so far has been a test on wood for a 2.5 inch dia flywheel. After about 1hour of run time at 2500 rpm, the spindle was so hot that when I did a tool change, I could only hold the endmill I was changing out for a few seconds before it was so uncomfortable that I had to put it down. The collet was just as hot, as was the spindle. Even the spindle case was very hot. Is this normal? Belt tension seems perfect, not too tight. Please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: PM-25MV conversion

The break in on the spindles takes a long time. It should run cooler after about 20 hours of running.

Mine was still running too hot so I added a half teaspoon of GTX synthetic in the slot on the side and it cooled down.

The preload might just be to high. Sometimes if you whack the spindle shaft nice and firm and square from top with a piece of soft aluminum protecting the shaft it will loosen up just enough.

Pictures are always good!

If not re packing the bearings is always a good idea and re setting the preload.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Re: PM-25MV conversion

Thanks a lot Dave, I'll give it a bit more time and add oil if it doesn't start to smarten up.

Skip