586,005 active members*
5,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

acrylic vs pvc vs polycarbonate

Hello,
    i have a bunch of clear plates dont know material ....
    Is there some way to see if it is pvc or acrylic or polycarbonate... i have about 15 sqm of that stuff since pvc is hazardus to cut and pc poison i am a bit scared to use it on laser
    as i have seen the density of all three Materials is about the same so i canot take weight of it...
    i have tried to bend it and it cracks so i think is not policarbonate beacose polycarbonate can bend on cold...
    So is there some safe way to determinate which material is it?

Re: acrylic vs pvc vs polycarbonate

I've seen a lot of similar questions on the K40 Google group so you might find some info or expertise there. One thing I do know is that with some types of plastics the fumes are very toxic so keep that in mind.

Maracv, search videos with PVC and "copper wire". TL'DR: you have to heat copper wire in Bunsen torch to red, take a sample of material and put in flame. If it contains PVC flame goes green-turquise. Is quite well visible.
    Polish @ Éire

Thank you all for fast answers it seems that on one bit of that material is plastic foil with declaration but it is transparent so i was not seeing it at First... it is acrylic but i will try that trick with burner and cooper wire to see how it will be so that i Know in future...

You can laser cut plastics, woods, rubbers, foams, papers, and thin metals as long as they do not contain chlorine.
    PVC contains chlorine, don't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Yang View Post
    You can laser cut plastics, woods, rubbers, foams, papers, and thin metals as long as they do not contain chlorine.
    PVC contains chlorine, don't cut it.
    Actually have to be care with foams - particularly with polyurethane (PU) - as during cut there can be created HCN gas (Hydrogen cyanide) which was used in Nazi death camps in Europe during IIWW. Here is a quite interesting explanation: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ur/9i7QmcHhiqU

And one more thing: As fair I know you CANT smell this gas itself. Usually when I'm cut acrylic I can smell it little bit even if exhaust is running. Try to imagine this is deadly poison HCN. In my opinion risk is too big to experiment on my own.
    Polish @ Éire

Quote Originally Posted by abyss View Post
    Actually have to be care with foams - particularly with polyurethane (PU) - as during cut there can be created HCN gas (Hydrogen cyanide) which was used in Nazi death camps in Europe during IIWW. Here is a quite interesting explanation: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ur/9i7QmcHhiqU

And one more thing: As fair I know you CANT smell this gas itself. Usually when I'm cut acrylic I can smell it little bit even if exhaust is running. Try to imagine this is deadly poison HCN. In my opinion risk is too big to experiment on my own.
    Thank you, a good lesson. :banana: