585,996 active members*
4,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > OpenSource Software > GCAM (GNU Computer Aided Manufacturing), first stable release
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation GCAM (GNU Computer Aided Manufacturing), first stable release

Hi,

the developer of GCAM released the first stable realease: 2007.02.23

Downloads for MS-Windows can be found here and for Linux here.

GCAM is 'open source software', can be used free of charge and is released under the GPL.

If you still find any bugs, please report to the GCAM Bugzilla.

Regards,
    Fritz

this is a program i beleave needs its own forum in the zone because i think this one will be a huge hit with the members here once people have a crack at it
    ive been playing around with it for a while now and it is a pretty impressive lil program
    i'll have to try out the new release tonite , the other releases were somewhat unstable at times but definitely promising
    and the price is right

i downed this version create new project put one line and 4 arc then program has crashed . Seems it is still unstable .

Gcam looks very promising, I had a play with it about four weeks ago and it seemed very good, although it produced some odd gcode compared to what I expected when I ran it through NCplot or cnc simulator.

Making an outside cutting a square object it was beveling the corners by the dimension of the tool specified, and pocketing it did the full size of the pocket in one shot rather than roughing/finishing.

Having said that, all of the milling I've done is manual on a friends mill, I don't have a machine yet, so I'm only 'virtually' using it, so to speak.

they put another update out yesterday
    still a lil shakey
    they are full at it , definitely work in progress

i downed this version create new project put one line and 4 arc then program has crashed . Seems it is still unstable .
    mugabe:
    I have played with it quite extensively and it is really an amazing software program. If you find it crashing please try to submit a bug report, unlike many software companies, GNU software programmers welcome bug reporrts and respond very quickly.

Best way to install this? Mine has a hard time finding the dll's

Quote Originally Posted by weimedog View Post
    Best way to install this? Mine has a hard time finding the dll's
    Please make sure you extract all the files to an actual folder on your PC first. It will likely give this complaint from a zipped folder. If it still complains, then a virus may have robbed/damaged a system dll. The package should have all needed files.

I took a look at this....

Are they planning to have DXF import? Frankly, without it, I'm not sure I see the point. Is this just for another style of working?

-Jeff

dxf import would be nice ,but i don t think it s really designed to be used as a professional software , i think it geared to the home hobbiest who wants to draw up a part and create code from it ,
    in my opinion there are a few more important features that are missing in the software like lead in and lead out and d comp , roughing finishing ,

with a little editing a guy can create a pretty decent program with it

It looks like it will import gerber files, which are typically used to drill/route PCB's for electronics. EagleCAD and GEDA (electronic CAD suites) produce these files to create PCB's.

Exclamation New Version of GCAM: 2007.04.09

Hi,

there's another stable version of GCAM: 2007.04.09

An '.exe' file for MS-Windows (zip archive) can be found here and the sources for Linux here.

GCAM and it's source code is available without charge under the conditions of the GNU General Public License
    Screenshots, Source, etc.: GCAM - GNU Computer Aided Manufacturing

Regards,
    Fritz

Nice job!

This is sizing up to become interesting competition to New Fangled Solutions' Amazing Mach scripting tool- you can make lots of basic parts with the Mach conversational, but this gizmo lets you see what you're doing in real time with each part addition. I map things out on graph paper for my mach script parts and the visual is a big plus.

This software will be the bee's knees when it's machine catalog expands past the Taig 2019 with xylotex motors. Maybe that's coming down the road, but for now I'll be exporting the G-code and loading into mach.

Cheers and happy friday! -Jim

I was completely ignorant of GCAM's existance.It looks like a good start.

In open source projects, I often find several project, but yearn for one full-featured one.

Trouble with a single pocket

I really like the concept. I did have a problem with creating a single round pocket. I managed to get the bolt hole patterns set up, but wanted to put a single hole in the center and could not get it.

I would like to see a element like bolt pattern, but just for 1 hole.

Thanks for the effort. Real good so far.

RipperSoftware

This is really a great application, simple but highly effective, especially for my plasma cutter.

is your next step to allow you to move the lines using the mouse instead of specifying co-ordinates? allowing more of a "paint" interface.

also, have you looked into a function to import WMF type files out of powerpoint or OpenOffice, i imagine those files are only vectors at the end of the day...

cant wait to cut something with this application... will try on saturday.

anyway great work!

Cool Latest release: 2007.12.09

GCAM is still alive btw. The latest release is 2007.12.09 and there are some new features, namely the import of RS274X (Gerber).

Screenshots:

And the best: It's still 'open source' and still free of charge...
    Fritz

I just downloaded it for the first time. Trying to make it work on win vista 32 bit business - so far, seems ok, but then again, I don't know what I am doing yet.

I am happy to say I was able to design my first "cad / cam ever" part with it. A cylinder with 2 drilled holes from a square of Al plate.

It is nice to see a software designer write programs that can be run on multiple platforms.

The program focus on sort of a "draw what you want to cut and go" as opposed to "draw, convert, then convert again" is handy for a beginner hobbiest like me.

Hi,
    where can I download the last release of gCam (linux)?
    Thanks.

http://gcam.js.cx/index.php/Files

No debs or rpms to be seen. You'll have to compile.

This info was in the very first post btw.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Page 1 of 2 12