584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ID Grooving tool help!

Anyone have some tips on setting up this ID Grooving tool in a tool holder??

no matter if I put it in Gang tooling or a Tool Post holder... it doesnt cut, it just rubs..

almost like the relief angle is less than the material, so it just sits and rubs on the insert's outside .. doesnt cut at all?? wtf.

Yes - its centered.. I tried both gang tooling (gang tool holders and dead nuts centered..) and quick change post tool holder and centered with Edge Technology Pro Lathe Gage..

Still rubs.. any ideas?

Re: ID Grooving tool help!

If it's rubbing on that front face, it could just be that the radius of the bore you're working on is too small for the relief on the tool. Can you try it on a bigger ID bore of scrap to confirm?

The picture would indicate 1 or 2 ° of front clearance, not much. I guess I might touch it up on the grinder and narrow the clearance area a bit and maybe change the clearance angle. I don't think the cutting edge needs as much support as is shown for the width of the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    If it's rubbing on that front face, it could just be that the radius of the bore you're working on is too small for the relief on the tool. Can you try it on a bigger ID bore of scrap to confirm?
    I actually tried both ID around 1.5" and reverse spindle on an OD of about 2.25", both rub like crazy..

I'll try grinding the relief angle a bit.. just not sure how much carbide inserts like being grinded.

Just super weird that this is a pretty standard insert and tool and why I am having such a hard time..

On the OD approach, even a zero rake should be ok because the material falls away from the centreline.

I'm not familiar with the lathe gauge you used but have you ensured the tool is flat as well as centred? With such a small relief and what looks like no rake at all on the top, if the top isn't flat with respect to the line from the centre through the cutting edge then yeah, it will rub.

Often the default angle set by the flats on the bar include a little kick for top relief - if that's happening then it would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    On the OD approach, even a zero rake should be ok because the material falls away from the centreline.

I'm not familiar with the lathe gauge you used but have you ensured the tool is flat as well as centred? With such a small relief and what looks like no rake at all on the top, if the top isn't flat with respect to the line from the centre through the cutting edge then yeah, it will rub.

Often the default angle set by the flats on the bar include a little kick for top relief - if that's happening then it would explain a lot.
    The lathe gage is this one: Pro Lathe Gage - Edge Technology

It pretty much gaurentees height is centered.. the tool post holder and gang block holders are pretty much nuts on square, so if the flats on the bar are providing some kick for top relief, then I'm screwed cause there's not much other ways to hold this besides clamping it down in the gang block or tool post holders with the set screws.. i.e. no way for me to rotate it to counter for any of that manufacter relief in the flats..

Super weird that they would sell this tool and inserts if it doesnt work.. it it was like $80 just for the tool and $12 per insert..

FWIW, I have a Tormach Slant bed CNC lathe.

Thanks for any help!!

Set it up, centre it etc.

Throw a dead centre or something similar in the spindle.

Get a straight edge and put it on the top of the insert so it's parallel, check to see it crosses the centre of the spindle. If it's sitting high, there's your clearance problem. You may be able to compensate by putting a sliver of something to shim the back of the insert up and therefore nose the tool down, or re-grind the flats on the tool, or try and grind more relief on the insert. But at least you'll know why it's happening to you.

You sir dharmic, are a genius!!

Turns out it is NOT flat.. and with some more investigation, when I flip the tool upside down, it IS flat??

Then it dawned on me, Although the tool is advertised as a "Right hand grooving tool", but they tell you in the small print to buy left-hand inserts.. heaven knows why.. and seems like I actually need to flip the tool upside-down and use it as a LEFT hand grooving tool..WTFFFF...

Excellent, glad to hear you've worked it out. Strange configuration but I guess it depends on internal vs external and which side of the work you're coming in from.

Ha I read with interest i purchased a left hand boring bar a small one just recently ,i also see a small internal groover on eebs with a 2mm wide parting tip insert nice for my little counter bores.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	367638