584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Protoneer raspberry pi cnc hat

I'm building a small router/laser engraver from stuff i have been collecting over the years. Has anyone here used the protoneer hat for the raspberry pi? Was thinking it would make a good all in one box (raspberry pi, drivers, powersupply, screen and flip down type keyboard.

http://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/Raspberry_Pi_CNC

Re: Protoneer raspberry pi cnc hat

I'm right there with you, I have the PROTONEER rpi hat 2.60 version. and I'm using an asus tinker board. more memory faster cpu etc...... more options and total pi compatible. I've been doing a lot of complaining to the moderator of the protoneer guy ( Bertus Kruger ). Its just stupid he has his forum so locked down you cant use it. Only data that gets posted is what HE feels's needs to be posted.... so I'm working on starting post's on cnczone. I told him as well... But I believe he's one of those people that thinks he knows best. :P
    Just some setup details. I removed the PI connector mount because the heat sink is to tall for the tinker board. And I didnt want to make A heat box. so I'm mounting the tinker board and pi cnc hat side by side with a jumper cable. I have soldered on EVERY single jumper to the 2.60 pi hat just for the hell of it. I'm still trying to get details as to what all the jumpers are for. Bertus Kruger clearly does not believe in posting details, or he's one of those people that thinks every one knows what he knows and there for does not need to post the details "he" already knows.

Is the set up your using a plug and play? Are you also using the protoneer sd card image?

I can't really blame him for not sharing to much info. The Chinese copied his GRBL hat for the arduino and took away alot of sales.

Ended up using the Protoneer board on a mini mill i built for a friend. So far its been doing good with out any issues. The 10.1 inch touch screen was plug and play with the protoneer/Rpi. The bcnc screen is not the best for touch screens though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcgJ9uNA2m1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1qqsrzrinbald

Any more info on your build? I am currently building a C-Beam Plate Maker and wanna go the Pi CNC route as well with external drivers.

GST

gstprecision I would suggest looking at the asus tinkerboard.. there are 2 versions I have the orignal. the new version has onboard flash. Your call as to which to use. But the tinkerboard has 2x the memory of the RPI, it has a faster cpu and a lot of other features. and the I/O header has more multi use I/O that the rpi does not have. Bench marking the asus tinkerboard beats the RPI in most benchmarks. And the older version that is ONLY lacking onboard flash is on average $45

bozidar22 I'm still working on getting everything setup.... I've been so bleeping busy at work the last 2 months I've had more or less no time for anything..... until I get my mold built so I can make my housing for my asus tinkerboard/RPI touch lcd..... I cant do much becuase I have no easy to mount the thing and I got a few thin ribbon adapters for the USB/HDMI ETC.... I also modified the proto board a little, I added all of the jumpers just for the hell of it and to make it so i could do some testing. I also got very long standoffs, desoldered the orignal rpi header and put taller standoffs. Now the proto board stands 3/4" off the rpi clone with plenty of room for the heat sink, and I have headers on the top side if I want to mount it else where. Now because the mfg of the protoboard has posted BS for details on how to use his product. and what everything does. makes it more or less useless in a sense and makes me want to go with the chines knock off BECAUSE they document HIS design in there build.
    bozidar22 currently I have built an RTC real time clock adapter I have an external/internal usb hub and DC/DC adapters for power the difference devices..... I'll post details when I get around to it.... I'm using external motor controllers for large powerful motors. As far as software goes. I'm planning on using linuxcnc.. But as I said until I can mount the lcd/computer I cant do much.

Thanks for the recommendations berin. I will stick with the RPI for nowcas I already have one. I will eventually convert my other mill and will definately look at the tinkerboard.

I have been working on this project off and on. So far I have built a mold to built the shell. I can make more if anyone is interested. Its designed for the SBC form factor and a 7+" lcd.... Currently I have an RPI TOUCH 7" lcd installed. My cnc machine frame is just starting to be built. I'll post photos of that when I get some. I can tell you for sure its going to be VERY heavy. I'm torn between using the protoneer and some other driver boards. I really want to use linux cnc mach3 isnt going to work with the asus tinkerboard. That makes me wonder if it was the best choice or not. But if I use the protoneer board I cant use linuxcnc which sucks..... if I use linuxcnc I have to have a special real time system... which sucks . cant win...