584,866 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question New to Parametric Programming

Hi Im new to parametric programming (Custom Macro). Im not sure if our controller is parametric programming compatible (Quictech with Syntec 900T controller). I read somewhere that if I type in the command #101=1 and the controller doesn't issue an alarm, then the controller is compatible. Is this correct? I did this and there was no alarm.

More importantly, how can I find out which system variables are linked to which offsets? (eg. System variables from the #2000 series relate to tool length offset values.) - Not sure if this is correct.

I would like to create a parametric program to set the tool lengths automatically.

Any help, pointers and info would be appreciated.

070226-1656 EST USA

weaston:

I personally would not directly link "Parametric" with "MACRO". But it may be that you require MACROS to do Parametric programming.

What is your understanding or definition of Parametric Programming?

MACRO in the CNC field is quite different than MACRO in the computer field. In the CNC field MACROs are an extension of the standard G & M code program language and may provide variables, functions that can be performed on the variables, parameter passing to subroutines, and some special functions like DPRNT.

My definition of parametric programming is where you create some general sub-program for a particular class of applications with variables in the sub-program that you can provide specific values to at the time of execution of the sub-program to make a specific part or pattern.

So long as you have the ability to use variables then you can do parametric programming. Your test of #101 = 1 with no error seems to imply "MACRO" capability. Proceed a little further and try something like the following in a program.

#101 = 1.0
    #102 = 5.0
    G54
    G00 X 0 Y 0
    G01 X#101 Y#102

Use whatever values you want and see if the machine does what you expect. Obviously you need initial and ending code.

G65 is a sub-routine call that provides a means of putting parameters on the calling line.

If you do not have a manual, then download a copy of the HAAS mill manual from their site. This manual is 96-8000.pdf .

HAAS to some extent copies Fanuc and HAAS variable numbers may give you a hint.

What is your vision of how a parametric program would help you set tool lengths? Do you have a probe of some sort?

Talking

Gar,

Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that parametric programming and MACRO programming were one and the same. Excuse this misunderstanding. Could you clarify the differences any further?

I am using CAD/CAM so I'm not really sure whether it is possible to intergrate parametric programming into my CAM posted programmes or if there is any benefit in doing so?

I recently saw an example programme used for setting tool lengths. We don't have a probe and the programme doesn't completely automate the process. Please see the attached document RE. tool length set up. This is the info I found.

I'm not sure if this programme will help much as the operator uses a function button on the cnc which transfers the offset to the relevant tool, it seems as though this is the same thing that the MACRO programme is aiming at acheiving.

What does the function DPRNT acheive? Do you have any application suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

070227-0736 EST USA

weaston:

A downloaded copy of the HAAS manual will be very useful to you.

Go to www.dictionary.com and enter parametric for a general definition of the word.

For example the equation x = A * y is a family of straight line curves with a parameter A where A defines the slope of the curve and thus its angle. So with this one equation you can make any number of different straight lines depending upon your choice for the parameter A.

Now change the equation to x = (A * y) + B. This equation allows you to make parallel lines if A is held constant and vary the distance between the parallel lines by changing B.

MACROS for CNC programming allows you to do more than just write parametric programs. MACROS opens up access to variables so you can get information on the state of your machine. Examples: current turret position, current X, Y, Z coordinates, time and date, create counters, timers, work with probes, within program change tool offsets or wear, change content of G5x coordinates, DPRNT to output data thru an RS232 port, and others.

Later I will comment on your .pdf file.

Sounds like MACROS are the way to go. Thanks. I eventually found the HAAS manual, will take a look through it.