584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > SL-40 DRO Does not display current tool position

Question SL-40 DRO Does not display current tool position

Hello,

This is my first Haas. In this case a SL40 from 2005.
    I can offset a tool, run a program, everything fine, but I am unable to see the actual DRO coordinates when jogging, even after issuing a tool change in MDI mode.
    It is like the machine only shows the tool offset in automatic mode. This is normal? It is a > 2000 year machine... the only machine where I saw this was in a Fanuc 0T and a Okuma, both < 1990.

Thank you for any tip.

Re: SL-40 DRO Does not display current tool position

Hit the current command page or position screen and page down down to cycle through the screens. You'll eventually come a screen that shows all your positions.

This is true. But as fomaz is stating, there is nothing that shows the current tool's location in relation to the part. Every position, (work, machine, and operator), shows the same thing for X on that positions page you are talking about. On my SL-10, with my current turning tool, that page only shows X0 when the machine is at machine home. There is no way to make it show X's current location in relation to the part. Z, on the other hand, does give a Z-4.332 dimension for G54 when the turret is at machine home. But that is somewhat cryptic, because if you move it to where G54 shows Z0, it is nowhere near the part. I am using the tool probe, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

The only way I know of is to call up the tool in MDI and send it to X0 Z0. Then, from there, you can go back to the operator position page and origin X and Z. Then you can jog anywhere you want and still see where the tool is in relation to the part. If, however, you change to a different tool, you have to repeat the process. And if you are using a boring bar that is larger than 5/8 inch, the machine may not have the travel to make it to X0. In which case, you cannot get it to show X0 on the operator position page. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years now. Especially when trying to bore jaws for the 3-jaw.

Haas engineers, if any are listening... In my humble opinion, the work position page should show the current tool's relative position to the current work offset. That, to me, should just be a matter of a simple math problem and should be easy to solve... In my opinion...:idea:

A lot of people monitor the distance to go.

Also, if you go to Haascnc.com they have a feedback section that you can provide them.

Quote Originally Posted by HFO Tech View Post
    A lot of people monitor the distance to go.
    That's great... Except when you are boring out jaws by hand, or want to look at something for clearance, and you have no idea where the tool is at in relation to anything but machine zero.

So when you first touch on the jaws hit zero return mode button then hand jog. It's zero your distance to to go. So then you can hand jog it however far you want and you know how far it's actually moved.

Or another way is when your boring bar first starts lightly rubbing go to you operators position screen under command or position screen, use the page up or down buttons until you get to your operators screen positions. If you highlight the certain axis using the up or down arrows then hit the origin button. It will zero the position. Then you can move the axis under whatever feed rate you chose and by one click of each hand wheel move that selected axis will move by that increment, then you know how far you've moved or how much of a cut you're making because the position of that axis will move exactly the amount it displays on the screen. Your federate your selections are .0001,.001, .010, .100. If you don't like the .100 incremental movements there is a setting that you can disable it so you don't accidentally activate it when pressing buttons for the feederates. I get what you're saying, but Haas has been building CNC for 30+ years and there control has been exactly the same way minus the new features added over the years. Although what I'm getting at is this isn't the first instance that a chuck jaws needed to be bored out or at a certain I.D. Dimension. It's been achievable for 30+ without DRO.

It definitely has been achievable for a number of years. I have an idea how to do it, as does many on this forum. All I am saying is, again, taking my 3-jaw example, short of taking a 3-way bore gauge to measure the diameter after a light skim cut, you are only "close" to what you want. If my 5/8 bar has been running parts to size, it would be nice to be able to jog directly to 1" and have it bore a 1" hole without messing around with all these other methods. This is an over simplified example, of course, but you get the idea. This is what the original poster wanted to know...is there a way to do it. There are workarounds, but NO, you cannot directly just jog your tool to a defined diameter and have it turn that diameter in a Haas.

All I can say Mr. HFO Tech, is your thought process is flawed. Saying "it's been achievable for 30+ without DRO" is like saying, "People have been making parts on this Southbend lathe for 30+ years. What do we need an automatic machine for?" Or telling the guy that wants to buy a car that using a horse and buggy has been working fine for years and he doesn't need a car. In today's day in age, part of being competitive is saving time. Basically, instead of sticking with the status quo, move forward and make it better! It will save people time! Surely, if Haas can figure out how to do the complex mathematics to come up with their "tool center point control" for 5-axis machines, (which may only be useful in a handful of situations), they can fix the problem of their lathe's work offset not showing correctly on the positions page.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Haas lathe and mills. They are decent machines. But that doesn't mean they cannot be improved upon.

Soapbox put away...Good day to you.

Thank you for all the replies.
    Having the DRO to update with the current offsets was all that I wanted, and it seems (strange to me) that is not possible.

@ Gizmo My thought process isn't off sadly, how have you been boring your jaws since owning your lathe? My point was made and you even acknowledged that you don't exactly need DRO to bore out your chuck jaws. Plus, i never told him the machine never needed DRO, I stated that you don't have to have DRO to achieve boring out your chuck jaws. Obviously the man has ran a machine with DRO for a lengthy amount of time and has come accustomed to expect every machine manufacture to have it,but it doesn't mean he can't achieve what he's trying to machine. Yes, any added feature to any cnc machine to add time saving events is always a bonus, and that's exactly why Haascnc.com has a feedback. Don't you think if Haas got feedback all the time regarding DRO in their lathes they would implement it? Haas didn't become the largest CNC distributor by ignoring their customers needs. Also if you want changes to your Haas machine or added changes to it go to Haascnc.com not a random CNC forum where you ask for help instead of bashing the O.E.M, that's what their websites are for.

@HFO Tech - Yes, there are workarounds. I said that. And please, I was NOT bashing Haas. I was bashing YOUR STATEMENT about it not being needed for 30+ years. I only mentioned for the Haas engineers to take note that people are wondering why their machine does not display the relative position according to the current tool. I mentioned it here because I know, based on past experiences, that Haas Automation engineers and/or service techs do monitor these forums.

As to Haas becoming the largets CNC distributor... They are the Ford of the CNC industry. They are a great entry to mid-level machine. My guess is, and it is purely a guess, there are more startup shops out there using Haas due to affordability than those using Mori-Seiki, Doosan, Hermle, or any other machine. Haas wanted to put a CNC in everyone's garage, so to speak. Our first CNC was a Haas. We currently have 4.

Then my statement was still not off mark, yes DRO would be nice, but it's not a requirement and for the 30+ years it hasn't stopped other shops that own Haas machines from doing what they needed to do is all I was getting at. Hell, with this NGC Haas has released they have more processor power and more added features than the classic control you may see the lathes with DRO on them since in the next coming months they're releasing lathes with the NGC control on it. Also now that they've worked out a lot of the NGC bugs & glitches. Yes, Haas machines are much more affordable than other cnc builders,but on a ROI I'd rather fill my shop with Haas simply due to having a machine paid off in a 1-2 year period and then getting 7-15 years just for operating costs. IMO that's more economical than still paying for a machine that's costing 4x more than a Haas and still making payments on it 7-10 years later just because it has some conversational control on it or may have DRO on it.

Granted taking nothing from Mori because they built the road we all play on and are very nice machines,but damn if you need to repair one you better bring some lube for the reaming or hope you have a fat ass wallet of a huge corporation.