585,758 active members*
4,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Looking info about small precision CNC Lathe to build!

Looking info about small precision CNC Lathe to build!

Hey guys, im looking about information about precision small CNC machines, i want to work with small pieces, like max length 10cm and 4cm diameter. Mainly to work with aluminum and 304 steel

I want to get good precision, thinking about use 15mm hiwin linear rails and 1605 ballscrew.

I really looking some similar project to start getting ideas.

Mainly want to make pieces like

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-75-mm-Barrel-for-all-metal-J-head-M6x26mm-Nozzle-Throat-Tube-Makerbot-3D-Printer.jpg  

Re: Looking info about small precision CNC Lathe to build!

Hi Jose,

I built the lathe in this build log:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...umatic-5c.html

My lathe would not do the part you show a picture of. Looks like you would need a tail stock to cut the thread, but you might get some ideas from what I did.

My advise, start with a good base structure! It sounds like you want to use linear rail as the machine platform rather than sliding ways, and that's great, but think heavy in terms of what you attach those rails to. Invest some time in finding a ready built spindle head. The spindle was the most challenging part of my build, and in the end I opted out of designing and building my own head and shaft.

If I had not found the spindle head I end up using, I would have scraped the idea of a lathe build.

Years ago I built a 10000 rpm milling spindle head and shaft. I had the ability to heat treat and grind the finish shaft to fit bearings, and grind the head to fit bearings. It was sub 10iso size with retention knob tool release and it works great still today, but that was half the size of the 5c spindle I wanted for my lathe, and it was as not easy! I knew I just did not have the tooling to make a 5c spindle happen, nor the funds available to pay to have it made. I looked to the used market instead.

You may have access to larger tooling than I had, so perhaps building your own spindle is within your abilities, this is just what I encountered on my path, if it does not apply to you, ignore me

Good luck, and happy turning!
    Andrew Abken
    www.drewtronics.net - PCB Cutters

Dude, your design is great, but looks really complicated for me. But for sure can get some ideas!

Many thanks for your support!

From where can i purchase a small lathe pneumatic chuck and lathe tool holder? i need an small chuck as i say the diameter of the pcs will be small 4-5cm and the lenght 10cm max.

Look for a small emco but this 3D printer parts may be sourced easily ..,

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro