586,009 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

spindle recommendation please

Hi,

I have a Merchant Dice machine which runs well and is ideal for me to learn on. Problem is the Kress router which came with the machine has burnt out/stopped working after only a few hours of operation. I've read that this is a common problem with these routers so need to upgrade. I don't have much technical nohow but am thinking a watercooled chinese spindle capable of cutiing both wood (primarily) and soft metals where needed.

Any advice is very much appreciated as to where/who to buy from.

I have had a look on both ebay and Amazon but not really sure what would be best to use with my machine.

I realise I will require a new spindle mount, pump etc so any help with links to these as well would be most helpful.

I should mention, I am using the machine to cut out guitar bodies primarily.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Re: spindle recommendation please

Im a total noob and just learning and don't want to send you in the wrong direction, but there's a member who is also making guitars etc , and he's using this one and quite happy with it .
    I'm buying one myself and will be interested to hear what the experts here have to say

TOP QUALITY 3KW WATER-COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE ENGRAVING MILL GRIND 220V | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    Im a total noob and just learning and don't want to send you in the wrong direction, but there's a member who is also making guitars etc , and he's using this one and quite happy with it .
    I'm buying one myself and will be interested to hear what the experts here have to say

TOP QUALITY 3KW WATER-COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE ENGRAVING MILL GRIND 220V | eBay
    Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate any help, I'm a complete novice at cnc myself so pointing me in any direction is better than me going in circles

Quote Originally Posted by lawdayinst View Post
    Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate any help, I'm a complete novice at cnc myself so pointing me in any direction is better than me going in circles
    As I mentioned I'm just learning , and I certainly don't want to steer you wrong . I'm hoping the resident experts give us some input . I know Davids very pleased with his , and it's unbelievable quiet.

Your are aware that you need a VFD to run a spindle right ? They don't just plug in like a router .

i posted the link for the one he uses . I was told not to cheap out on the VFD , as they can produce unwanted noise into the systems electronics

https://www.driveswarehouse.com/wj200-022sf-2527

Thanks again,

I knew I needed a VFD but have no real idea what they do! I'm assuming having looked at a couple that they are some kind of transformer, turning 2 phase into 3 phase? I notice many are sold as part of a package on Amazon.

If you have not bought anything as of now. Ebay have a lot of them with vfd and spindle together you will want something in 2.2 or larger Just make sure that you can get a spindle clamp that will fit our spindle if you go with a water cooled one. You can use a garden type water pump ( like little giant pump for a corner water fall 3/8 inch hoses).