585,722 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > pls, what is this formula ?

pls, what is this formula ?

hello again guys & girls please, somehow, do you know what is the meaning of attached formula ? kindly !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.PNG  
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Medan Guest

Re: pls, what is this formula ?

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello again guys & girls please, somehow, do you know what is the meaning of attached formula ? kindly !
    Must be cold where you are.

Anyhow, seems like you're turning threads on a 4-axis machine. If not then the formula means nothing. If so, you're calculating a feed rate for a fixed cycle. Bear in mind that when you turn threads, what's most important is the finish. It's really hard to get in there with a file or sandpaper after. Also, you never (almost never) cut a thread with a single pass so each time you make a pass you take a bit more off. Assuming you're working with a metal (post needs a wee bit more context) the most important thing vis-a-vis machine settings is related to chip load. spin too fast and you burn things out. Spin to slow and you burn things out. The chip is the heat extractor. Find the Goldilocks zone and you can rip a thread without even using coolant (though not recommended, a good coolant leaves a nice finish too).

So that's my Rp 267 worth (at today's exchange rate). Hope it helps a bit or maybe just stresses you out more. Whoops. A little more info could be useful for the community. Where is the formula coming from? What software/reference/book? What is mu? What is optional parameter (OTHER FUNCTION 1)? What is the meaning of life? Or you could try turning by hand. You'll find you get a feel for feeding the cutting tool in manually. Somewhere in the formula, maybe the parameter setting, you need to specify the material and therefore the cutting speed (ranges from about 150 to 1000). All a little fuzzy, no?

Good luck. Keep the faith or use the force. It all works out in the end.

P.S. If you're going to be doing a lot of this, try to get some time on a lathe in somebody's workshop and turning a few by hand. That really helps you understand what all this is about. Didn't have formulas when I started (sigh).

if you know what is this formula, than you don't need extra infos

thank you for the show

Medan Guest

if you know what is this formula, than you don't need extra infos

thank you for the show
    Sorry. I do enjoy a good story though. Time for tea. :cheers:

is ok to be funky, but try to keep a balance at least this is what i try to do ...

hy Medan, look, don't get me wrong

i just replied like that because your answer was funny, but had no real conection with the question

yup, there are some tangents, but nothing to solve the issue

i dont know how much you know, etc

but this Okuma forum is solid, and generally answers are sharp so think of stories if you also can prove your skills

otherwise, 2..3...4 more guys / girls telling stories, and the quality of the forum will be lost

is a sugestion for computing the feed among X axis when a taper is desired near a thread end

after trials, i can say that expected taper angle and real taper angle are not quite the same

full control for the end taper requires custom tools; i will explain it soon kindly !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	384130
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

hy kurmay the measuring unit for the parameter is contradictory : formula uses "microns", and on parameter page is "mm/min" ( attached ); also i always wondered what's the deal with the "8", so how did you find out about the cpu cycle time ?

i dont see why that formula is listed inside the manuals; somehow things should be simpler

nice skills kurmay

On the OSP7000L, axis motion is controlled as the control calculates RCON every 12.8 msec.
    The change of variation amount in the repetitive calculation is called "unit amount".

(in the OSP7000L operation manual, page 409)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

thanks kurmay i also intend to read osp7000 docs, just after i will finish reading the osp300 docs ...

however, i saw that newer manuals have sections with pages from older manuals, some even written at a typewritter, and i think there may be something interesting

teahole said a while ago that older manuals contain stuff

time is my worst enemy kindly !