584,817 active members*
4,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Setting drills, ID tools and back working/end working tools

Setting drills, ID tools and back working/end working tools

Can someone explain the setting of ID tools and back working/end working tools? I mainly want to know how the offsets work, where you find them in the program and how do use them to set the tool. What do the W and U's mean and do? I'm new to citizens and need as much help as possible. I'll be running L20, C16, K's and M32's.
    Thank you for all your help!!

Re: Setting drills, ID tools and back working/end working tools

You might want to give Citizen in NJ a call. Or Dynamic Detroit. Citizen has legendary phone service. They are very pleased to help. They'll also review your programs (you gotta write it though) and tell you what needs to be modified.

Generally speaking the machines have a position which is zero, unlike a regular turret lathe where you always set the zero for each tool. That takes some getting used to. But I also find setting the back spindle tools a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by lasernerd View Post
    You might want to give Citizen in NJ a call. Or Dynamic Detroit. Citizen has legendary phone service. They are very pleased to help. They'll also review your programs (you gotta write it though) and tell you what needs to be modified.

Generally speaking the machines have a position which is zero, unlike a regular turret lathe where you always set the zero for each tool. That takes some getting used to. But I also find setting the back spindle tools a bit awkward.
    I second Citizen's phone service. They are second to none in my book! They will help, as mentioned, with program issues, and a whole lot more!

Setting back tools in my M212's is easy, I thought. I leave them out and run through my program to get a part in the sub. Then I put them in and push them in as far as necessary. I make sure the "longitude" is highlighted for the appropriate tool on the preparations page, press manset, and press and hold the start button, (feed knob turned down of course), until the sub moves to center-line and then to zero. I then move my tool up to meet it, lock it down, and repeat for the other tools. Usually, I am leaving 0.005-0.010" on the back of the part for finishing, so I then add that to the offset page and I am in the ballpark.

Yup this is how we do it. I find setting the sub is odd. It's hard to do the math to find out where your cutoff face is in relation to the machine's "natural zero" so gizmo_454's method is how we do it. Just gotta go with whatever the machine wants.

We could certainly use a training session.

Quote Originally Posted by lasernerd View Post
    Yup this is how we do it. I find setting the sub is odd. It's hard to do the math to find out where your cutoff face is in relation to the machine's "natural zero" so gizmo_454's method is how we do it. Just gotta go with whatever the machine wants.

We could certainly use a training session.

The way I do this is go in man set, longitude, minus a large value (If I know the previous tool was sticking out far) hit input and then hold cycle start until the sub stops moving,then I just move the handwheel (do not go into another mode like manual) until I touch off the end of the part with a piece of paper and hit input. This is on a later model Citizen with a Mitsubishi control.

you are also asking about the w and u
    u is the incremental move in the x
    w is the incremental move in the z
    but if g50 is added it becomes a work shift in the z or a dia. shift in the x

you wold need to give more information to get a good answer to your question