Ok I've had the benefit of participating in recent posts voicing concerns with using extruded aluminum profiles as the linear rails for CNC builds. Even though I'm a fan of the practice I also agree with the opposing views. Maybe we could start a fresh dialog of the pros and cons of the matter here.

To begin with, "wheel and plate" kits just aren't able to withstand the daily use and abuse of an industrial quality machine [linear system] built to handle around the clock high stress workcycles. But then again they aren't meant to.

The popularity of the kits comes from allowing new users an inexpensive and far less complex system to learn and maintain. Plus if they mess up and break something not needing to take out a second mortgage to repair the machine adds to the appeal.

Like I said I'm a fan and have evolved my own designs to this kind of linear setup. I won't claim that any past build will take the punishment that the machines at work do for me but I still see potential in this type of linear motion system.

Anyone up to discuss?

*Post links to horror stories if you must. But if you do also offer up thoughts for improvements along with it thx.

MC