584,800 active members*
4,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

powermax 45 torch

Hi i just bought a used powermax 45 without torch. would anyone on have one they would like to sell. machine or hand torch. or where is the best deal to buy one new. thanks!

Re: powermax 45 torch

Hard to find someone who wants to sell just a torch. Best bet is to check the welding supply sites online. The prices change regularly and sometimes include free shipping. A bit of searching will see who has the best current deal. I looked a few weeks ago for a 45xp hand torch and best I found was in the $360 range with a 20' lead. I think they use the same torch but possibly the connector is different.

Thanks

Actually...the connector is the same for the Powermax45 and 45 XP torches, but torch is different (different consumables, not interchangeable). You can put the 45 XP torch on a 45, though it is not recommended as it has slightly different requirements for electrode blowback timing and pilot arc current. The 45 XP uses the same torches as the Powermax65, 85 and 105 models.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    Hard to find someone who wants to sell just a torch. Best bet is to check the welding supply sites online. The prices change regularly and sometimes include free shipping. A bit of searching will see who has the best current deal. I looked a few weeks ago for a 45xp hand torch and best I found was in the $360 range with a 20' lead. I think they use the same torch but possibly the connector is different.

@ Jimcolt,
    on 24/10/2017 Hypertherm announces new Duramax torch options for Powermax45 plasma system owners: https://www.hypertherm.com/our-compa...system-owners/
    A Hypertherm rep discusses the retrofit in great length on youtube at Bakersgas:

Are you saying this retrofit is NOT such a good fit? Did Hypertherm redraw this option officially?
    Really like to know, may have quite an impact for the PM45 users like me.

kind regards, Arthur

Hi,
    the Powermax 45 came out with the T45 torch and is still available but if you have to buy a torch buy a Duramax torch.
    It has the later style sprung electrodes used in all the other G4 machines whereas the T45 has a sprung plunger in the head and
    was used for all the G3 machines.

Buying a second hand torch is not realistic, it the hardest used and wear prone part of any plasma. You don't buy secondhand toilet paper for the same
    reason!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Actually...the connector is the same for the Powermax45 and 45 XP torches, but torch is different (different consumables, not interchangeable). You can put the 45 XP torch on a 45, though it is not recommended as it has slightly different requirements for electrode blowback timing and pilot arc current. The 45 XP uses the same torches as the Powermax65, 85 and 105 models.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim,

What about the other way around, i.e. Can you use a T45V torch on a 45XP power source?

Thank you!

"What about the other way around, i.e. Can you use a T45V torch on a 45XP power source?"

Because of the torch length differences, there can sometimes be issues caused by the amount of time it takes for air to move through the tubing of the torch lead and it can turn into a fight with
    TSO messages.