585,927 active members*
3,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    cooler21 Guest

What is the most accurate CNC?

Hi! I want to ask you what is the most accurate CNC machine for woodwork? I have read something about 0.001 mm . And have heard that Shizuoka and Mitsubishi are maybe the most accurate. I do not know. Does anyone know it? Thanks

I belive 0.0001mm is more then enough for woodwork since wood will expand depending on the humidity. Which machine is more accurate i have no idea .

I believe the Norwegian company Bergerking makes a router called the "Bjornwhoppervaluemeal" that has .000001" (one microinch) accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    I believe the Norwegian company Bergerking makes a router called the "Bjornwhoppervaluemeal" that has .000001" (one microinch) accuracy.

Don't they also run a double?

The double isn't out yet. They're having trouble with ballscrew whip on the 8" diameter screws. I think they're now working on 10" screws.

On the otherhand, they debuted the "Junior" at last year's IWF. It's meant to go head to head with the "Sixpiece" from the Irish CNC Company, MacNugget.

I confirm the availability of the "Junior". I have taken delivery from local distributor.

Yeah, and you can't forget the fact that when you decide to buy, they always make sure you "HAVE IT YOUR WAY". It's really the service that makes the sell!

walter, howd that "Junior" work out for you, was it worth the money?

I looked into getting that "Junior" also, I think I'll hold out for the "Double", I think it will be worth the wait.

What do you guys think about KFC, they really got a leg up on the competition, from what I hear.

Have both of the machine builders send you a ball bar report

When I was buying our cnc machine. To separate the fly poo from the pepper I had them both send me a ball bar (renishaw) test report on the machine I was going to be purchasing (make sure the serial numbers match to the report). You will know weather it is BS or not by holding the reports together. They will tell all on accuracy, slop and servo timeing. See if they choke or send it quickly. By the way I do ball bar testing on the side. Iso 9000 requires it in machine shops.

Quote Originally Posted by cooler21 View Post
    Hi! I want to ask you what is the most accurate CNC machine for woodwork? I have read something about 0.001 mm . And have heard that Shizuoka and Mitsubishi are maybe the most accurate. I do not know. Does anyone know it? Thanks
    I don't think any wood cnc will hold anything close to that!
    Dennis

Yea, it's a ridiculous number that's more or less meaningless, especially for woodworking.

.001mm, or .00004", is beyond the accuracy of most ABEC 9 bearings.

I bet you could get that accuracy, If you had a "9.99 domino", not to mention all the extras they throw in!

Shizuoka or Mitsubishi

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC View Post
    I don't think any wood cnc will hold anything close to that!
    Shizuoka and Mitsubishi would both be good machines. Shizuoka was the builder for the Okadas I use to work on. I have pitch error comped them to .002 um. And that was 8-10 years ago. I am sure they are even tighter now. That was on a metal cutting machine but I am sure the technology follows. Mitsubishi makes good controlers also. I am just the most familiar with Shizuoka.

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    I bet you could get that accuracy, If you had a "9.99 domino", not to mention all the extras they throw in!

True. However, anchovies will usually cause spindle runout.

All I have to say is not thermwood...

its at home, and I take the pendant and tell it to go 231+ on the y axis, and it usually comes out to 230.985 and stops (well, it starts to stop about 4 feet before that, but thats another rant). This isnt something I measured... its on the absolute position display.

Move the z-axis down .0001" at a time, click back up .0001 and it jumps up ~.0015.

I also love being able to push the head .015"-.020" or so with one finger.

As babyish as they can be, especially when it comes to knocking the head out of tram... they have a ton of power behind them though. One of our maintenance guys managed to run the head into an aluminum fixture sideways, and cracked off the C-axis. (the casting going from the Z-axis to the spindle, and has the motor and gearing for the A axis in it)

Quote Originally Posted by ConKbot of Doom View Post

As babyish as they can be, especially when it comes to knocking the head out of tram... they have a ton of power behind them though. One of our maintenance guys managed to run the head into an aluminum fixture sideways, and cracked off the C-axis. (the casting going from the Z-axis to the spindle, and has the motor and gearing for the A axis in it)

Either a lot of power or crappy castings, like was said before when youre working with wood, how much accuracy do you need? I dont think there is any router out there sloppy enough to not work for wood?

We have a Northwood CNC, its supposed to be accurate to 6 decimals, but in woodworking I don't see how you'd ever need more than 3 decimals.

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    Either a lot of power or crappy castings, like was said before when youre working with wood, how much accuracy do you need? I dont think there is any router out there sloppy enough to not work for wood?
    Might not need a ton when youre working with wood, but when you're working with composites and trying to hold +- .010, it gets interesting...