584,830 active members*
5,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > sainsmart-1-axis-cnc-servo-stepper-motor-motion-programmable-controller

sainsmart-1-axis-cnc-servo-stepper-motor-motion-programmable-controller

I bought this thing the other day and have been having a problem getting it to work. I have a STP DRV 4035 as a stepper motor driver. and a Sure Step 23079 motor. I have two power supplies a 24vdc and a 48 vdc. The stepper motor will run off of test on the 4035 so the motor works. I have CW going from the controller to -dir, CP going to the -step, i have 24vdc going to +dir and +step on the 4035. i use 48vdc to powr up the 4035. I am using the jog on the controller to try to move stepper motor. 417 247 0616

Re: sainsmart-1-axis-cnc-servo-stepper-motor-motion-programmable-controller

I see a few problems with your setup

The max power input voltage on the 4035 is 42 volts, running it with a 48V power supply will damage it.

The max input voltage to the step & direction inputs is 5 volts. Trying to run them with 24 volts will damage them.

What controller are you using?

I have attached the manual
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surestepmanual.pdf  

I am using a STP DRV 4035. I am using the 24vdc on both driver and controller. I am using a 1/4 watt 2200 ohms resistor to drop the voltage to 5vdc at the terminals -dir and -step.

I used the 2200 resistor with the 48 volts also. The test still works on the driver. I am now using the 24vdc on both.

OK, that sounds better.

What controller are you using to run the STP DRV 4035? I have never seen one not work when supplied with a pulse input.

I am using a Sains ST-PMC1 Programmable Motion Controller. I have a YouTube video explaining how I have put it together. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=lIRj_fQWQH0

My biggest concern at this point is using the 2200 ohm resistors with 48 volts. That could have fried the optocouplers in the drive inputs. With 48 volts the resistor should be at least 4700 ohm, absolute minimum 3200 ohm.

You should be able to test this by just disconnecting the STP- wire from the drive, and then just touching it to the terminal. Each time you touch the terminal, the motor should step one increment. If it doesn't then you may have a problem.

I did what you told me and I get a step on the step motor each time I touch it.

OK then, life is good. Sounds like the drive is working OK.

Your link to the youtube video seems to point to your account and not to the actual video.

It sounds like you need to check the settings on the motion controller. It should jog if you put it in Manual Mode. Do you have the HF and HL parameters set to allow jogging?

Try this site maybe it will get you to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIRj_fQWQH0 I don't see any parameter on HF or HL that turns the manual movement on.

I have a suspicion that the CW and CP outputs are 5 volt. I think you can check this by measuring the between GND and OPTO or between GND and CW on the ST-PMC1. Maybe while pressing the jog buttons. Normally all drives use 5V inputs, and I'm guessing they might make the ST-PMC1 directly compatible. The is nothing in the documentation that I can find that addresses this.

I have never seen one of those controllers before, I guess I'm going to have to buy one just to play with. It might be useful.

EDIT: I just ordered one, expected delivery Wed, 4/19

Strange stuff now. I took off the 2200 resistors and checked voltage at the controller and had 5vdc I wired it without them and got nothing but the system alarmed out and would not come on. I put the resistor on the positive jumper going to dir+ and step+ and it started to work in one direction. So apparantly it was looking for 5vdc on the Dir+ and Step+ side.

It seems that you almost have it figured out. I wouldn't think it mattered which side the resistors were on, very strange. Can't argue with success.

I'll get to play with mine next week. I have a small project that I think this will work for.

I make "Indian Basket Illusions" and as the "basket" vase in chucked up I put vertical pencil marks, could be as many as 140 of these marks. At the present time I put an index paper with these marks around behind the chuck as I move the chuck around and mark the basket. I used a beading tool to bead the entire basket. I then burn those marks I made earlyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	17498902_10210158749578400_3882873796765742589_n.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	358844and lay my pattern out and it must come out equally around the basket. I took the 24vdc off of the Dir+ Step+ and moved it to the opto terminal and success. It works in both directions. Thank you very much for hanging in there with this old guy.

Very cool project. The stepper should make it easier.

My pleasure to help out. Us old guys have to stick together, I'm retired so I get to sit on the computer and play if I want to.

Tom, I got my controller yesterday.

I checked out the voltage output at the OPTO, CW, and CP terminals, and it is +5 volts when measured to GND or COM-. That means that you can connect the the CP and CW output directly to the Step+ and Dir+ terminals, connect GND or Com- to the Step- and Dir- terminals on the SureStep.

Now I just need to figure out how to program it.

I have had it running for a few day BUTTT..... as I move only 104 steps to the new position I have an erratic output. I use shielded twist cable and have grounded the shielding to a common ground. I even make a full rotation (10,0104 and get the same result. You would think it would be an accumulative amount of error. As I ran it many many times I detected a difference sound at the same point of the rotation.

I meant to add all my moves are in jog mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Antrim View Post
    I have had it running for a few day BUTTT..... as I move only 104 steps to the new position I have an erratic output. I use shielded twist cable and have grounded the shielding to a common ground. I even make a full rotation (10,0104 and get the same result. You would think it would be an accumulative amount of error. As I ran it many many times I detected a difference sound at the same point of the rotation.
    Maybe some kind of a mechanical bind at one point?