585,722 active members*
4,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > DeskCNC Controller Board > Interface cards for Emco Mills & Lathes

Interface cards for Emco Mills & Lathes

Hi Everyone,
    I am an intructor at a Tec school that has 12 Emco trainer lathes and mills. The problem we have is the interface cards will not run on any sofware newer than Win98. The I.T. department here can not support the computers that are running the machines anymore, so we have to upgrade the pc's. Emco wants a lot of money for there cards that will work in XP, so I am looking around to see if there are other cards that might work with the trainers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Ken Carey

Can you use the Win XP compatibility mode to make it work? I guess I'd give it a try, just to see if it would work.
    Just a thought.

Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Dave,
    I am not sure what you mean, is this something inside XP or what? We are just going by what Emco said, that we would have to buy new cards that are compatible with XP

Thanks,
    Ken

I would give this a try. This is something that runs inside the windows environment.
    Dave

Using the Windows Program Compatibility mode
    When you use Windows Program Compatibility mode, many of the most common issues that prohibit earlier versions of programs from working correctly are resolved. If you run a program and it does not function as expected, it is recommended that you run the program in one of the compatibility environments. To run programs in Windows Program Compatibility mode in Microsoft Windows XP, follow these steps: 1. Right click on the link of the program that you want to fix.
    2. Click on Properties.
    3. Click on the Compatibility tab.
    4. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
    • Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows NT 4
    • Windows 2000

5. Under Display settings, click to select the mode that you think that is necessary for the program to work correctly: • Run in 256 colors.
    • Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
    • Disable visual themes.

6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
    7. Double click on the program.
    Notes• The Compatibility tab is only available for programs that are installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program. For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click the option and then click What's This.
    • If you click to clear all the options in the Compatibility tab, you will restore the default settings.
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Oh, by the way. Why can't the I.T Dept support the WIN 98 computers anymore??? It IS their job after all, right?
    Look for new I.T. people.
    I'll bet the interface cards used to/would run under windows NT 4.0 so it should run in XP anyway. XP is a stripped version of NT. I can't think of any reason why it would run different??? I still run windows 3.1 programs under XP and they work fine so far.
    Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Thanks Dave, I will get an XP box setup on the machine and give it a try. About the I.T. guy's they are just going by what Emco has told us.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kcarey View Post
    Thanks Dave, I will get an XP box setup on the machine and give it a try. About the I.T. guy's they are just going by what Emco has told us.

Ken
    Good luck on your trial. I think it will work. The way your original post is worded it sounded like your I.T. guys were not going to support the Win 98 computers anymore, which, would be silly. Use the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one