584,826 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Anilam 1100m Servos will not reset.

Hello everyone, We have an Anilam 1100m everything boots up just fine, the only problem is that the servos will not reset. I have tried pushing the e-stop pressing servo reset but nothing. Checked power supply and that is working correctly. We have replaced the relay switch and it was working. We could hear the loud click when the servos would boot up. Now we do not hear anything and the display does not change either on the display. Even when moving the x and y axis the display will stay at 0.000 for both, including the z axis.

PS: we do have a toggle switch and have tried other methods to try to get it going.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you all in advance.

Regards,
    Amerimachine

Re: Anilam 1100m Servos will not reset.

Is your 5 volt power supply working?

All the correct lights on the board that are supposed to be on are on. But we have not actually tested the power supply itself. Maybe it is sending power but not enough? Any suggestions on how we can test it out?

I think the real problem here is the encoders are not reading or powered up. From what you said, I assume the screen DRO reads 0.0000 even when you rotate the lead screw by hand.

That being the case, the computer would not allow the drives to enable, ''encoder failure error'' But I don't know why you are not seeing an error message on the screen.

To check the 5 Volt: On PCB 833, check P1, pin 6 (GND, Black wire) and pin 5 (+5V, Red wire), you should have 5 volts there.

Where are you located? Anywhere near Portland?

Jim is correct, look on the distribution board, back left corner will have led's for the voltage you need 5.0 vdc for the encoders, and 24vdc for the servo reset circuit.. dave

Thank you Jim and Dave for answering. Everything checks out as in, we are getting the correct voltage everywhere. We had a guy sit down and check to make sure we are getting voltage, and we are. This is what is so weird. Jim you are correct in that when we rotate the screw by hand the DRO does read 0.0000 for X Y and Z axis (no matter which one we rotate). As for no error message you are correct again, we are not getting one. We figure that we at least would get some sort of message, but we get nothing on screen. We have replaced the capacitor with a new one thinking that was the problem but it wasn't. We are located in Las Vegas Nevada, so as you can imagine it is hard for us to find someone with knowledge about machinery like this in Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I think the real problem here is the encoders are not reading or powered up. From what you said, I assume the screen DRO reads 0.0000 even when you rotate the lead screw by hand.

That being the case, the computer would not allow the drives to enable, ''encoder failure error'' But I don't know why you are not seeing an error message on the screen.

To check the 5 Volt: On PCB 833, check P1, pin 6 (GND, Black wire) and pin 5 (+5V, Red wire), you should have 5 volts there.

Where are you located? Anywhere near Portland?

As much as I would like an excuse to go to Las Vegas, that is not going to happen, so I'll try to help you here.

When all else fails, the old trick of unplugging and plugging in the computer cards and cables is many times very effective. Shut main power down and give that a try. I'm pretty sure a computer signal is keeping the system from resetting.

Lol what better excuse to come to Las Vegas than to say you are going to work on a machine? Foolproof :cheers:. But on a serious note, we will have to try that my gut feeling is that some cable is not on the right way or maybe its crimped somewhere. I will get back to you all when we get some results. Again thanks for being a great forum really helpful.

The last time I was in Las Vegas was to work on a machine, just a quick trip in and out. I do have to leave the office to go fix a local customer machine, so if I don't get right back to you, that's why. I hope it's just a loose cable.

Quote Originally Posted by amerimachine View Post
    Lol what better excuse to come to Las Vegas than to say you are going to work on a machine? Foolproof :cheers:. But on a serious note, we will have to try that my gut feeling is that some cable is not on the right way or maybe its crimped somewhere. I will get back to you all when we get some results. Again thanks for being a great forum really helpful.
    You might check the 25 pin db connector on the motion control board inside the computer... It goes over to the distributions board, also check it there.. maybe reseat the motion control board with the power off ad see what that does.. lots of luck! dave

Just a little update for you all. We are going to send out the computer chassis and the whole servo cabinet out. It seems that the DB for some reason does not want to play nice with everyone else, therefore it says everything has power and everything checks out it just does not want to work. I will try my best to update all of you once we receive everything back which could take a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeprecision View Post
    You might check the 25 pin db connector on the motion control board inside the computer... It goes over to the distributions board, also check it there.. maybe reseat the motion control board with the power off ad see what that does.. lots of luck! dave
    also check the comm 2 connector on the computer assy. that goes to the distribution board.. normally if it is not connected you will get and error on boot up .. (no d2 distribution board detected)..

where are you sending the unit, if I might ask? dave

Just a little update for you all. We are going to send out the computer chassis and the whole servo cabinet out. It seems that the DB for some reason does not want to play nice with everyone else, therefore it says everything has power and everything checks out it just does not want to work. I will try my best to update all of you once we receive everything back which could take a few weeks.
    WOW, that's pretty extreme. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade, would take a lot less time, I did mine in 1 1/2 days. And maybe cheaper too.

Going to send it to Don Schoof, he works at Heidenhian, Sony Magnescale, Acu-Rite Encoders and Probes Believe me this guy knows what he is doing. He has been nothing but extraordinary in getting everything up and running. The only thing is that he is on the east coast, and we are on the west coast. Which makes it hard to get results back quick. Other than that I trust him. As far as I know him and Jerry are the only ones left (basically on earth) that know anything about the old anilams, and trust me I have spent weeks trying to find other people that are willing to help or know the basic functions of an anilam and these two gentlemen seem to be the only one left.

Going to send it to Don Schoof, he works at Heidenhian, Sony Magnescale, Acu-Rite Encoders and Probes Believe me this guy knows what he is doing. He has been nothing but extraordinary in getting everything up and running. The only thing is that he is on the east coast, and we are on the west coast. Which makes it hard to get results back quick. Other than that I trust him. As far as I know him and Jerry are the only ones left (basically on earth) that know anything about the old anilams, and trust me I have spent weeks trying to find other people that are willing to help or know the basic functions of an anilam and these two gentlemen seem to be the only one left.
    I know Don, and deal with him often, great guy!!! I think you could send him the pc, and the distribution board, and he could check them out.. save from having to send the servo cabinet...

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeprecision View Post
    I know Don, and deal with him often, great guy!!! I think you could send him the pc, and the distribution board, and he could check them out.. save from having to send the servo cabinet...
    Just in case this comes up again; Dave over at illianaindtech has a lot of information posted on these machines.

This one would be my starting point for the issue you have: Series 1100 trouble shooting guide

Home