585,883 active members*
4,639 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: New location for China Shipping

I have the 1100 as specified from Tormach with no changes and it runs on 240 volts, you don't need to change anything on it
    Will

It seems that if you are buying any accessories, the best location to ship from is head office. There is no advantage in shipping from China unless you are only buying a Mill and stand. In this case the FOB shipping from Shanghai was going to be $NZD 629 + $USD 415 to truck it to the freight forwarder. I could have (most likely) reduced that cost once I got the warehouse address after payment. Neither of those costs included the port fees to get it out of China. I though the next best thing would be shipping from Las Vegas but after I got the quote from my freight forwarder I discovered that Tormach doesn't actually distribute accessories from that location either unless they ship them their especially, at additional cost. In the end I had everything shipped from Tormach head office, this came out to $NZD 1925 being 3 pallets amounting to 4.278 cubic meters and weighing 977 Kg delivered to my door. All that remains to be paid is the GST (a kind of sales tax, here in New Zealand). I purchased the PCNC1100 with the deluxe stand. The third pallet was the accessories, including the power drawbar, a couple of vives, a bunch of tooling, and a few accessories. I would imagine shipping to Australia (the east coast at least) wouldn't be too much more as about 60% of the cost is getting it on and off the ship. I used Freight Forwarders Auckland | Customs Brokers - Door to Door Freight in the end. Mill should be here in 4 or 5 weeks. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Thanks for that summary Chris. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Yes I used a bigger, NZ sourced coolant pump, and switched the computer to 230V - both inputs take 230V. (actually on one 1100 I use the same wall socket for both inputs. Works fine).

Cheers Keen
    Hi,
    I don't suppose you remember any details of the pump? Some I have researched out have some dubious specification - they might look like they have a good flow rate but not at any useful height. One I found quotes 35l/m at 2M https://www.topmaq.co.nz/item/view/P...?sku=MECO01200 at $188 down to 20l/m at 2M https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/P232# at $127 Either of these options have a higer flow rate than the standard Tormach pump and they work at 230V. I also see many people using a submersible pond pump and while some have impressive flow rates, they don't all have the lift. I'd prefer to stick with a more traditional approach for the time been and find a good pump to fit the Tormach tank.Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris

I bought standard centrifugal pumps - think it was from Scott machinery who had a range of different lengths and flow rates.

If you are unsure of the model let me know and I will inspect mine. Cheers Keen

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. This morning I found the "Base and Tub Assembly" step file from which I took some measurements. The Phoenix pump from Scott Machinery (which should be a good brand) comes in either 105 or 150mm foot length. The Tormach tank height is 214mm so the 150mm pump will have some clearance. I calculate the usable tank volume after allowing for the pump height to be about 19.5 L, so the Phoenix pump will cycle the usable tank volume in about 50 seconds at 25 L/m so I don't think the capacity of the pump will be a limiting factor at this point.

Yes so far I have found Scott machinery to only stock good quality product. On one of my 1100's I fitted a 1/4 HP pump (with a bigger body) - and that gives some serious flushing. Cheers Keen

Page 2 of 2 12