585,997 active members*
5,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Freehand Grinding your Tools and Cutters
Page 1 of 2 12

Freehand Grinding your Tools and Cutters

Hi Folks

If I get time I hope to eventually video a series on freehand grinding tools and cutters.

I know many of you are experienced in this - but there are probably some out there who would benefit from a few tips.

Here is the introduction: Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15LXAJGdj0I

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Folks

If I get time I hope to eventually video a series on freehand grinding tools and cutters.

I know many of you are experienced in this - but there are probably some out there who would benefit from a few tips.

Here is the introduction: Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15LXAJGdj0I
    Nice video very well done, thank you

Re: Freehand Grinding your Tools and Cutters

Good info and video Keen!

I learned to hand grind drills just out of high school, I have hand sharpened taps as well in a pinch.
    It saved lots of time and money when I did stainless work.

Keep up the good work.......
    mike sr

Thanks for the feedback guys - it really helps to hear when you are heading in the right direction!

Cheers Keen

I made a special 3/8" spotting drill, with an oddball angle, needed one in a hurry to make a special chamfer on a part, took maybe 20 min to cut off a 3/8" drill, thin the web, get the angle and relief right, no cost other than a bit of time and the satisfaction of being able to do it myself............

The guys in the shop would get a new drill rather than resharpen the old one, when the box got full of used ones they would throw them in the trash on cleanup day, I had probably 20 pounds of used drills that I am still using out of today 25 years later.......

lots of holes in 304 stainless will give you lots practice sharpening drills.........
    mike sr

Nice one. Next video: split points

The tricky bit is making sure the edges are DEAD symmetrical. If they are not the bit will drill over-size and on one edge only. I have some Chinese drill bits like that.

Cheers
    Roger

It depends on how critical the hole is, and how much time you can wait on a factory sharpened drill or reamer if it isnt in stock.

An old mentor showed me how to drill a tight hole or even a bit undersize, he would just touch the corners of the drill on the grinder very slightly, this will tend to push the drill lips to the center of the hole. It takes a bit of experimentation but it does work in a pinch.

Just an old "git-ur-dun" trick where time is of the essence.
    mike sr

I bought a Darex Drill Grinder about 15 tears ago and it was one of the best tools I ever bought. I paid about $1500.00 for it and it makes perfect drill points.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I bought a Darex Drill Grinder about 15 tears ago and it was one of the best tools I ever bought. I paid about $1500.00 for it and it makes perfect drill points.
    Steve,
    I bought the end mill grinder about 1997, it will grind the ends and the flutes, gave about 1600 for it and it wont sharpen drills?? It does have an air spindle on it. It saved me many dollars when I was doing stainless work.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Steve,
    I bought the end mill grinder about 1997, it will grind the ends and the flutes, gave about 1600 for it and it wont sharpen drills?? It does have an air spindle on it. It saved me many dollars when I was doing stainless work.
    Mike,

What do you have for an EM grinder. I have been wanted to buy a simple bench top grinder.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Mike,

What do you have for an EM grinder. I have been wanted to buy a simple bench top grinder.

gary
    Gary,

It is a Darex, it only sharpens the flutes and ends, they did sell a ball end attachment but I think its discontinued now.

Keen has one that I would consider now, cheaper and does more, cant recall the name of it just now??

edit: Darex E 90
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    they did sell a ball end attachment but I think its discontinued now. ... Darex E 90
    Keep your eyes open. I got a used Darex E 90 on eBay *with* the ball end mill attachment in addition to the standard straight end mill attachment. It also came with about 35 collets and three grinding wheels (two of which were new) and some other extras. They do not show up very often but they do show up.

Great!

Bought a new or like new E-90 from e-Bay last night/this morning. would also like to find the BNEM attachment.

Thanks for the advice.

gary

Gary: Electronic copies of all of the manuals for the E 90 are also available for free, despite the fact that some are for sale on eBay.

Thanks for the tip!

If you can't find the manuals let me know and I can email them to you (it did take me quite some time to collect these).
    Based on your selfie you could definitely use all the help that you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetopan View Post
    If you can't find the manuals let me know and I can email them to you (it did take me quite some time to collect these).
    Based on your selfie you could definitely use all the help that you can get.
    That is a nice tool to add to my list! and lol

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    That is a nice tool to add to my list! and lol
    Hey Guys - This is a freehand grinding thread!....no cheating with equipment allowed! ....(But no worries...just joking)

Back on subject with another video. Cheers Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vugSBfCEeg

Free hand grinding of lathe tools, I never grind the top rake unless its a special finish tool, my old mentor told me that was what files are for (finish work). The point being, that when using a 4 position tool post the tool is always on center of the work if no grinding is done on the top of the tool bit.
    Grinding the top rake is OK if one uses a rocker tool post or a special holder to readjust so that the center of the tool to the work can be reset each time the top rake is resharpened.

I like your grinder mountings, several in a small space......

I like your videos on hand grinding tools, a lot of those skills are not being developed today.

Thanks for taking the time to share your skills!!
    mike sr

Page 1 of 2 12