584,812 active members*
5,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Best software for future employment

Best software for future employment

I am 24 years old and about to finish my four year business degree.
    A major distraction is I make my living with CamBam, Meshcam, Blender, and Linuxcnc...
    It's paid for my college and a few trips internationally--kept my bills down, etc. I am going to try growing it once I graduate, however, I feel it's wise to learn something like Autocad since employers usually want that on a resume...
    I like working with my hands, understand how stuff works, design stuff, fiddle, figure it out, make it faster, etc.
    Not an office job or managing people.

Thus far over 4-5 years I understand the entire toolchain for CNC, however, nothing mainstream or commercialized.
    I have ample student discounts for software--which CAD package should I choose to learn?
    Should I got the Autocad and the eventual Mastercam route? Is there a better more future proof idea?
    I'm not hunting for a job, but I want to do some design and random prototypes for fun--so I'd like to do so using a modern and capable package.

Re: Best software for future employment

What industry are you looking to get into. Different industries tend to use different software.
    I work in a cabinet shop, and use AutoCAD and Alphacam. I think AutoCAD is more prevalent in woodworking, due to it's use by architects.
    Solidworks is probably more common in metalworking.

Fusion 360 is getting very popular, but I don't know how many larger shops are using it?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Not many places can use fusion it does not have nesting yet, you can do cabinet making with it, but without Nesting it's a not going to be used much if at all to it gets nesting, what is meant to be this year.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If they added nesting tomorrow, it wouldn't make a difference in the cabinet industry, where most use a full blown cabinet design package. Nesting is the easy part of the equation.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You can do that with fusion if you build the library your self, most wont use it, If they have some off those super fancy machines that come with there own package, It would be good for a start up.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When I see "not an office job" I tend to think you might prefer to be self employed...which is awesome. If that is the case choose any software that supports the product/service you wish to produce. If a particular software package is producing what you and your customer is satisfied with, it does not matter what brand or quality level it is.

If your goal is to learn a package that is going to be a safety net later in life you will have to research the software packages used in the industry you are targeting.

Let me tell you the cold hard facts about manufacturing software. Learn and become proficient with software that is used throughout the median sector of an industry and you will always be able to find a job. Keep in mind you will be swimming in a sea of others just like you. The truth is, if everyone is using it means there will be a cheaper guy than you willing to do the work. I'm not saying you can't make a comfortable living, because you can by choosing a company willing to pay you a little more than they can get the next guy.

Another way to go about it is to determine what the industry has labeled as the pinnacle of software for their industry. There is a good chance that software is ridiculously expensive, highly complex, and there will be a very small group of users who are getting highly compensated for their service.

I worked in the median software range for over 20 years of my 30 year career and lived a comfortable life because I was innovative and willing to hustle. Most of that comfort came in the form of lots of overtime and late hours contract programming. Once I was lucky enough to move into the highest software echelon, my compensation package exploded.Not like 5-10%....but more than doubled and I am salary now so I do not work much if any overtime at my day job. I still contract occasionally, but the rate for that is even more off the charts. There is a down side to being in this group. When the work dries up and you find yourself looking, you are going to be making a move. Usually a long distance move.

In the mean time...I recommend getting every software package that you can afford while under that "student" umbrella. Learn everything about every one of them and become proficient. This will broaden your resume and make you more adaptable in the market place.

I wish you much luck my friend. You will be fine no matter what path you take.

Rob

Tinman has it correct.
    My cheap advice is to learn "AnyCAD" and AnyCAM
    Explained. Geometry is geometry, all systems do this.
    Gcode is Gcode same with CAM systems
    If you gain an understanding of the core of what and how this functions, you can do any cadcam system..
    I have learned this during the development days of CAD and CAM when everybody developed everything and now weird systems are everywhere.
    Here linked is the Latin of this business, learn it and make 150k / year.
    If you can comprehend this there is no system you cannot master.
    APT360 Programmers Manual
    Nobody really uses this anymore. its the knowledge now

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, you may need 10-20years on the job in aerospace. to get a contract chance
    Been doing this too long

edited for multi quote

Quote Originally Posted by tinmancarving View Post
    When I see "not an office job" I tend to think you might prefer to be self employed...which is awesome. If that is the case choose any software that supports the product/service you wish to produce. If a particular software package is producing what you and your customer is satisfied with, it does not matter what brand or quality level it is.

If your goal is to learn a package that is going to be a safety net later in life you will have to research the software packages used in the industry you are targeting.

Let me tell you the cold hard facts about manufacturing software. Learn and become proficient with software that is used throughout the median sector of an industry and you will always be able to find a job. Keep in mind you will be swimming in a sea of others just like you. The truth is, if everyone is using it means there will be a cheaper guy than you willing to do the work. I'm not saying you can't make a comfortable living, because you can by choosing a company willing to pay you a little more than they can get the next guy.

Another way to go about it is to determine what the industry has labeled as the pinnacle of software for their industry. There is a good chance that software is ridiculously expensive, highly complex, and there will be a very small group of users who are getting highly compensated for their service.

I worked in the median software range for over 20 years of my 30 year career and lived a comfortable life because I was innovative and willing to hustle. Most of that comfort came in the form of lots of overtime and late hours contract programming. Once I was lucky enough to move into the highest software echelon, my compensation package exploded.Not like 5-10%....but more than doubled and I am salary now so I do not work much if any overtime at my day job. I still contract occasionally, but the rate for that is even more off the charts. There is a down side to being in this group. When the work dries up and you find yourself looking, you are going to be making a move. Usually a long distance move.

In the mean time...I recommend getting every software package that you can afford while under that "student" umbrella. Learn everything about every one of them and become proficient. This will broaden your resume and make you more adaptable in the market place.

I wish you much luck my friend. You will be fine no matter what path you take.

Rob
    I would like to remain self employed, however, there are slow times, and I made some poor financial choices so I am more cleaned out at the moment. With a future spouse that'll likely happen and this 4 year business degree--I'm just trying to see what can be done in case my niche job doesn't fire off. I don't mind it being the 8 days a month job which covers my rent, food, and other bills--but it's hard making the connections and so forth. The wood is $40 a board food, has to be shipped in, etc. So I am thinking maybe $15-$20 an hour isn't bad to start, then see how the job goes, and I can work the weekends my business--then get married next year when things hopefully stabilize.

Thus far I see a few packages and industries I like. I'd prefer to work for a sign company or one which doesn't involve ferrous metals, I am more visual, as I can cut things out, understand different finishes, abrasives, and other such things. I understand machining, however, I haven't done much of it, and I like to do things on a aesthetic basis whilst understanding how everything works--as I am used to pulling apart my tools, etc. There are also spots for granite companies, and plastics--such seems interesting to start, and perhaps I can get the generic 8-5 sort of job for a time.

Money doesn't interest me past a point--I'm told if I use my future degree as a manager I can make $50K a year if I sell my soul hour wise. $40-$50k isn't a lot for this regions cost but it would work, and provided the hours aren't bad I'd be OK with it. Working for myself--if I sell enough I could make twice that--but right now it's half that as I'm a student, and it's hard focusing on work when I'm relegated to writing papers which have no material value.

I will investigate the primary employers in the region and see what they want. If push comes to shove and my business doesn't grow once I give it 100% this fall--I'll pick up some packages, learn, and apply to a few firms then see how it goes.

Thanks for your input on this. I'll likely reread these posts again as I did in April, and sit on this for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Tinman has it correct.
    My cheap advice is to learn "AnyCAD" and AnyCAM
    Explained. Geometry is geometry, all systems do this.
    Gcode is Gcode same with CAM systems
    If you gain an understanding of the core of what and how this functions, you can do any cadcam system..
    I have learned this during the development days of CAD and CAM when everybody developed everything and now weird systems are everywhere.
    Here linked is the Latin of this business, learn it and make 150k / year.
    If you can comprehend this there is no system you cannot master.
    APT360 Programmers Manual
    Nobody really uses this anymore. its the knowledge now

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, you may need 10-20years on the job in aerospace. to get a contract chance
    I do concur and that's my hope as I've been dabbling with things since I was 16--8 years later and I've garnered some good experience but it's always been for me, myself, and I.

My mind isn't mathematically based. I can learn things but it's more of how to buff out lacquer, abrasives, wood species, finish quality, and software ona GUI basis.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What industry are you looking to get into. Different industries tend to use different software.
    I work in a cabinet shop, and use AutoCAD and Alphacam. I think AutoCAD is more prevalent in woodworking, due to it's use by architects.
    Solidworks is probably more common in metalworking.

Fusion 360 is getting very popular, but I don't know how many larger shops are using it?
    Woodworking, plastics, and non ferrous for sign shops would be a good start. It's more or less who would hire me and if there's upward mobility in the said industry. Northern Austin has a lot going on but a lot of students--so perhaps I pick one which is dirty and the "students" stay away from. I almost have a BSBA degree but I like to keep my hands busy and not push papers or feel entitled due to the fact I can write good papers.

What kind of wood are you using that costs $40 per board foot? Gaboon ebony? Hawaiian Koa? Indian rosewood?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What kind of wood are you using that costs $40 per board foot? Gaboon ebony? Hawaiian Koa? Indian rosewood?
    Lots and lots of Koa wood. $15 a BF on a cash deal to $50 a BF. It's what sells but my final product is such a niche and it's hard to see what's next. I'm loosing business by making them too small and so I'm working on bigger ones out of different materials but being a student money can be tight and R&D isn't easy since I don't have the "right connections as I could.