584,879 active members*
5,087 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > HSMEXPRESS / Fusion 360 2D adaptive clearing struggles

HSMEXPRESS / Fusion 360 2D adaptive clearing struggles

Attached is an example of a model im trying to machine at work using Solidworks and HSMEXPRESS, but am trying to figure out in my spare time at home how to approach it with Fusion. I'd like to use 2d adaptive clearing on the "dogbone" pocket to the right but it just doesn't properly recognize the geometry even when I select just the bottom edge contour. I feel the step in heights and overlap to the left pocket is part of the issue. Using Hsm I think I got past the issue with the use of the propagate along z check box but honestly don't know what that meant and can't remember now. Fusion doesn't have that propagate option, nor machine cavities. In Fusion, both 2d contour and pocket work easily but I believe they gave me trouble in HSM initially.

As reference, the slot is .24" wide, the corners are 1/8" diameter, and I'd like to use an 1/8" endmill for the 2d adaptive machining (but plunging/drilling the corners out first)

Thanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Re: HSMEXPRESS / Fusion 360 2D adaptive clearing struggles

Did you do that model in fusion or solidworks, there is a cam bug where you cant pick what you wont or it just wont cut what you know it should.

You can adjust the torrances in the passes tab to a lower setting or the helical ramp diameter in the ramp on the linking tab. If you can post your file I can Have a look
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The screenshot of the model was one I did in Fusion-- not exactly the same as the model from Solidworks (drawn by someone else) but the dogbone pocket design is similar-- basically a rectangular part fits in there and has square corners that need clearance. I can try to post the file later today.

Quote Originally Posted by 91TSiGuy View Post
    Attached is an example of a model im trying to machine at work using Solidworks and HSMEXPRESS, but am trying to figure out in my spare time at home how to approach it with Fusion. I'd like to use 2d adaptive clearing on the "dogbone" pocket to the right but it just doesn't properly recognize the geometry even when I select just the bottom edge contour. I feel the step in heights and overlap to the left pocket is part of the issue. Using Hsm I think I got past the issue with the use of the propagate along z check box but honestly don't know what that meant and can't remember now. Fusion doesn't have that propagate option, nor machine cavities. In Fusion, both 2d contour and pocket work easily but I believe they gave me trouble in HSM initially.

As reference, the slot is .24" wide, the corners are 1/8" diameter, and I'd like to use an 1/8" endmill for the 2d adaptive machining (but plunging/drilling the corners out first)

Thanks.

If you're having selection problems it could be model specific, so we would need to see the actual file. I just tried something similar to what you described and it worked. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem, just that it's not immediately obvious.

What propagate Z does is to build a selection chain by automatically selecting all connected edges that are at the same same Z level as the selected edge. This is done on a per entity basis so each selected edge has it's own setting for propagate Z (and for propagate tangent). Fusion uses a different scheme where it makes an initial guess for the chain you want based on the selected edge. If that chain isn't correct you can click it again and a toggle button pops up that allows you to switch between open and closed chaining, and gives you the opportunity to add more edges to the chain. You don't have to select connected edges either, they can be on opposite sides of a model and it will still work.

C|

You need to post the fusion file you did, there are problems with non native fusion file what you posted.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Will the .f3d file be correct to use? I don't have the option to do anything with sharing under the file/save as drop down menu--it's not select-able.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...DdsNEg0dGZoSnc

Oh I see what the problem is. It's the minimum ramp diameter under the linking tab. It needs needs to be smaller to be able to enter into the slot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MinimumRampDiameter.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	359970

C|

Wow, thanks that did it. Now to give it at try at work on Solidworks. I made some parts today getting by with 2d pockets but they left a ridge in the middle at the bottom of the pocket. My mistake--I should have added some finishing passes so that the initial passes had more overlap in the center eliminating that ridge. I'd like to show pics rather than explain but ITAR rules prohibit me.

Quote Originally Posted by 91TSiGuy View Post
    Wow, thanks that did it. Now to give it at try at work on Solidworks. I made some parts today getting by with 2d pockets but they left a ridge in the middle at the bottom of the pocket. My mistake--I should have added some finishing passes so that the initial passes had more overlap in the center eliminating that ridge. I'd like to show pics rather than explain but ITAR rules prohibit me.

I get caught by the minimum ramp diameter sometimes too, even after years of using this software.

C|