585,885 active members*
6,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > EMCO Mills > Emco VMC 100 tool holder alternatives? Extend Y Axis?

Emco VMC 100 tool holder alternatives? Extend Y Axis?

Looking for an alternative to the overpriced $150+ holders. Can regular CAT/BT30 holders be turned down and a bearing added? Or the tool changer "wheel" be removed moving to something similar to the F1? Can adapters be made? I dont have the machine in front of me (friend has it 600 miles from me) so its hard for me to envision what could potentially be done.

Can the Y axis be extended at all? As is they are extrmely limited. I know on the Chineese conversions people have managed to replace ball screws and or grind away at the base to gain another inch or two and at this short of a throw even 5" would be welcome.

Thanks guys,
    Chris

Re: Emco VMC 100 tool holder alternatives? Extend Y Axis?

I've started modifying some BT30 holders to fit my PC Mill 125. Turning the flange off is quite a bit of work, especially if it's a quality holder with high hardness and case depth. The pull stud end must be shortened. And, I still need to make pullstuds. If you get holders for almost free, it's probably worth it. I mainly want ER25 and other holders that can't be purchased from Emco.