585,956 active members*
4,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TurboCAD CAM plugin

I have TurboCAD V12 Pro and able to make simple drawings of parts I would like to cut om my CNC router. My router is controlled by Mach3 and I have tried LazyCAM and I can't figure it out. I tried sheet cam and it seems to be easy to use but I am afraid I may out grow its capabilities. Is anybody using the CAM plugin? Is there any kind of manual for it? I thought of buying sheetcam and learning to use it but its within $10 of the Turbo CAD CAM plugin. I would like to cut 3d objects, will the CAM plugin do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cool Simply said: NO

TurboCadCam is not capableof 3d machining. It was created for 2 1/2D.
    If you need more then 2 1/2D I suggest BobCadCam. It will take several fileformats from TurboCad. Dwg,Igs,Dxf,Sat,Stp. It is not cheap and does not plug into TurboCadCam(but what does).
    Rules of my Road: Don't do what you will regret! Never regret anything you do!

I didn't see that the CAM Plugin was only 2.5d, thats fine for now. I was confused because in the feature list it says; "2D and 3D simulation in real time".

I am a long ways from 3D objects. Right now I need a CAM program for the every day applications for my router. 2.5D is what I really need right now.

One thing I need to do in the immediate future it create a ramped cut following an arc. I don't know a better way to describe it. Could I do something like this with the TurboCADCAM?

I like BobCADCAM's demo version and I was gong to try and buy it but I can't spend the money on something like BobCADCAM right now. Their sales people are driveing me crazy! They won't take no for an answer. They don't understand why I can't afford their software and when I am ready to step up to more powerful software I just might take my business elsewhere because of this.

Oh and thanks for your help Gandalf!

Cool

As I understand, you don't need 3D yet. A suggestion comes to mind. Have you looked at the BobCadCam version 19? They call it now Hobby Pro. It is almost as good as the others. It does not support DWG or SAT or STP. But with IGS and DXF you can go quiet a ways. Also attractive is that you later can upgrade to something bigger for a lot less. Postprocessors are free when you buy the Software. There are also numerous forums that can help you with a lot of things. And their support stuff is great too. You can even sign up for training.
    As for their sales staff, I know they can be very persistent.
    TurboCadCam plug in will also run you in some money. No training other then CD's. You already know TurboCad. There is a forum available too. As well there are other forums as well.
    Unfortunately I have no expierience with sheetcam.
    Rules of my Road: Don't do what you will regret! Never regret anything you do!

Since I already own Turbocad V12 Pro, I'll probably buy the CAM plugin. I ran through the tutorials since my last post and it seems pretty straight forward. Right now 2.5D would be enough. It may not be as feature laden as BobCAD CAM but its only another $300. The Hobby pro version of BobCAD CAM would have been a great Idea had I not already bought TurboCAD, especially since it supports 4 axis milling Thats something I would like to use eventually.

There's nothing in the TurboCadCam user manual index about ramping. I think basic ramping is straightforward to code by hand. Just nominate the start and finish points in x,y and z. You can copy the coding format from Mach - Wizards - Cut Keyway.

Just a thought from a novice.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxion View Post

One thing I need to do in the immediate future it create a ramped cut following an arc. I don't know a better way to describe it. Could I do something like this with the TurboCADCAM?

ramping

If you would like to machine an arc on a surface you will not be able to do it with tcc12 I just went thru this trying to get a curved drawer front proto finished . I run bworks on rover b 4.35. I am not familiar with mach3 or g-code programming. But i achieved the curve on a 7*24inch by 1.25 thick drawerfront by creating the desired curve on the non-standard side of the workpiece.to make the arc repeat horizontally acrosst he workpiece i used a z-step 18mm at a time w/a 3/4 inc pcd tool.I had to add a lot of repeats but it worked. Hopefuuly this helps

You can likely get a low cost version of the CAM plugin (ebay) for V12. I will tell you up front that if you updated v12 past 12.2 (12.5 update) the CAM will have an issue with showing the green material removal lines.

If one of the basic built in post processors doesn't work with your controller, you get to build you own with very little instruction...and forget any help from TCC. TCC advertises that no post processor is needed. Don't know what they consider a post but making a controller and changing code and programing seems like post building to me. If sorting out some of the simple g-code CAM and editing to fit you controller is difficult..the TC CAM is going to give you a challenge.
    MechWerks

Just a thought but even though the CAM may not make a ramp start you could always set up a plane change like XZ and ramp or arc into your material, then switch planes back to XY and do your contour.

I have only played with it but MechSoft has a free CAM called FreeMILL. Takes 3D items and outputs machine code. May be good for surface rendering with a router or mill but paths are limited to straight lines accross the material...doesn't have pocket or contour paths. Have been playing with their VisualMILL but cost is close to the $1K area with some places down to $850.
    MechWerks

Fluxion, I think what you may be troubled with is the definitions between 2.5d and 3d ! What you would be capable of and thinking of is actually 2.5d ! You can do art work using X Y & Z together !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Hi,
    Rather than buy the TC 12 cam upgrade for ~$300 you might prefer TC 14 pro complete with the CAM plug in for alot less. I (and several others) have bought the pair recently on ebay for ~200.
    DDDCNC