584,830 active members*
5,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Help Prevent corrosion & humidity

Help Prevent corrosion & humidity

I need some suggestions with my shop & the enviroment. I'm located outside of Little Rock, AR, if you're unfamiliar with the area, it's currently tornado season & the temps. are moderate but the dew point is usually a couple degrees below ambient. So things like your car, concrete, or any metal that is shaded from the sun will be well below the dew point. Condensation is on everything & in my case inside the concrete inside thr shop remains wet all day long.

I took delivery of my 1100 friday but I'm waiting on the accessories including the lifting bar until Monday. My question is what can I do to keep moisture off the mill until I get a room finished out & an air conditioning running? I need about 2 more weeks until I'm finished, until then I'm trying to figure out what to do with the mill & all the heavy stuff. Anything I can pick up, I've taken to my house for the time being but the mill, stand, enclosure is just too big or heavy. I've thought about buying a bunch of damprid or silica gel or even calcium chloride if that might work. Also considered buying a dehumidifier except I'm still about a week away from get the electricity turned on. I have a generator that can run all night on a tank of gas but it's 110 only not 220 & 10kw total output

Anyway at this point the machine is fairly well covered in oil or corrosion inhibitor (whatever the factory puts on it) & I've inspected for shipping damage but I'm a little hesitant to put the plastic back over it & trap all the moisture. Anyone got any suggestions?

Wormwood

Re: Help Prevent corrosion & humidity

Put some desicant bags in the control cabinet. You can get them from McMaster. Their part number is 2189K18. They're about $7.00 for 5 of them.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Thank you! Ordered.

It comes with a lot of ...I can't think of the name of it, china lube is what I call it, tha that **** you have to clean off, to prevent it from rusting during shipping, leave that **** on there I'd put some more desicant bags in the create and leave it closed until your ready. It ships a long way and probably sits in China for a while and it's fine in the box, you'll be ok.
    I recommend Qualichem coolant, that will keep rust off off everything once you start using it, 251c for aluminum, 291 I think for titanium and everything else including aluminum.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm anytime, I'm happy to help with anything I can. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Two suggestions.
    Silica gel packets have been recommended, second that. Put inside packing crate, seal back up. I'd avoid products like Damprid- fairly long lasting, high capacity, but it's calcium chloride. Inorganic chlorides anywhere near metal is a bad idea, and there's always a little hydrolysis and possible dusting to put the wrong thing in the wrong place.

An old trick I haven't seen suggested. Since the problem is mostly condensation, why not hange a couple light bulbs -incandescents- inside the box? That'll raise the ambient temp, and eventually everything in the box. Yeah, it'll take 24 hours or so, but if you can get everything up to 80-90F inside the box, the shipping grease (cosmoline, LPF3, whatever it is) will probably cover you for another week or two. Especially with silica gel in place as well.

Incidentally, you can regenerate the silica gel in an oven. 300F for a few hours will do it, thin layer on aluminum foil, then transfer immediately to a sealed container. Naturally, you won't use the one in the kitchen...at least without the approval of Management.

For your machine Inox is by far the Best, if you look around you can find it on special some times, here are 2 links for it

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4e53i90nls_p

inox lubricant | eBay
    Mactec54

Here is a good price for Inox right now with free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

Go down to the bottom where it say this New (2) from $26.44 & FREE shipping. and you will find a great price
    Mactec54

Thanks for the Inox tip got some ordered to try anything besides WD40. I ended up buying silica gel by the pound (15 lbs.) & some tyvek & muslin drawstring bags to put it in. The incand. Bulb does seem to bring up the temps. just above the dew point & closing the vents at night & opening them during the day helps as well. Got electricity crews out next week, still at least 2 weeks before I can get juice though....

Wormwood