585,700 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Why CNC machines from china are so inexpensive.

Why CNC machines from china are so inexpensive.

I live in Los Angeles and Im trying to buy a CNC router to a local company but they are so expensive that I had to quit (over $40,000). Then I just found in Ali Express this offer really tentative.

High quality CNC Router 1325 with adsorbent vacuum table and 4th rotary axis for $5,600
    Technical parameters
    Model 1325
    Working area 1300X2500X120mm
    Table size 1340X2680mm
    X,Y, Z traveling positioning accuracy ±0.03/300mm
    X,Y, Z repositioning accuracy ±0.02mm
    Transmission ballscrew
    Max. travelling speed 22m/min
    Max. Working speed 15m/min
    Spindle power 1.5KW
    Spindle speed 0-24000RMP
    Power supply AC220V/50-60Hz or 380V/50-60HZ
    Command G code/mmg/plt/
    Dimension 3070*1920*1790mm
    Total weight Approx. 800kg
    Warranty 1.5 years

Components
    Table structure T-slot table
    Spindle Water cooled spindle
    Inverter Fuling inverter
    Controlling system DSP handle
    Motor and drive Leadshine Stepper
    Guide rail TaiwanHiwin linear rail

Can someone tell me if this is a scam or is for real. Does someone have experience whit this company ?(RODEO) Or I should by from other Chinese company?
    I will appreciate any help before I spend my money
    Thanks
    Juan

Re: Why CNC machines from china are so inexpensive.

My guess is that your comparing apples to oranges, for starters.

What are the specs of the $40,000 machine?

The Chinese machine has a working speed of 15m/min, but only has a 1.5kw spindle. This would probably limit your cutting speed to the 4-5 m/min range.
    You'll likely find that the quality of the chinese machine is far below the expensive machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

For me it`s not a scam, all our CNC routers and CNC plasma came from aliexpress, in your case it`s a 4X8 size, it can get the job done, but sometimes depending on the unit, there are some hiccups like machine stabilities you need to correct for yourself, fine tuning is the key to make it perfect. it gets ROI in less than a year depends on your product output, I even experienced here in the shop that one CNC machine gets an instant ROI with just a single project.

Some pertinent information about Chinese routers. Almost without exception they come with controllers that for the most part have to be either seriously altered or replaced entirely. — I'm speaking from experience here. Nothing has manuals that are supplied with a machine although by looking around you can probably find a manual somewhere. Lead Shine stepper controllers are OK. not up to the standard of some American made stuff but not as bad as a lot are. Forget any warranty. How are you going to get it back to China if you need service? A machine as large as this really would benefit from rack and gear transport and servo motors instead of Stepper motors. Stepper motors can 'forget' where they are and don't transmit information back to the program. Disaster if you are 4 hours into a job and a neighbor starts his tig welder up and the power has brief glitch.

Keep in mind that ball screw drives can be a cheap and accurate transport method but the longer the thread, the more likely it is to limit speed. If the water cooled spindle is like mine, it will never achieve its specified capacity. The only good thing is you can buy better ones as you pick up familiarity with the machine. SO in summary... There is no consumer laws when you buy from China. Warranty on my router was supposed to be 2 years. This is month 3 of ownership and all I can get from the vendors is "don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of further help" when I asked for the name of the manufacturer. As soon as I mentioned pirate software he stopped communicating with me. Really strange because structurally the machine is not too bad. It's just one little word they don't understand — ETHICS. If you buy one, even needing to replace a lot of stuff it will still be cheaper than the expensive model.

Good luck
    Ryadia

Quote Originally Posted by Ryadia View Post
    Some pertinent information about Chinese routers. Almost without exception they come with controllers that for the most part have to be either seriously altered or replaced entirely. — I'm speaking from experience here. Nothing has manuals that are supplied with a machine although by looking around you can probably find a manual somewhere. Lead Shine stepper controllers are OK. not up to the standard of some American made stuff but not as bad as a lot are. Forget any warranty. How are you going to get it back to China if you need service? A machine as large as this really would benefit from rack and gear transport and servo motors instead of Stepper motors. Stepper motors can 'forget' where they are and don't transmit information back to the program. Disaster if you are 4 hours into a job and a neighbor starts his tig welder up and the power has brief glitch.

Keep in mind that ball screw drives can be a cheap and accurate transport method but the longer the thread, the more likely it is to limit speed. If the water cooled spindle is like mine, it will never achieve its specified capacity. The only good thing is you can buy better ones as you pick up familiarity with the machine. SO in summary... There is no consumer laws when you buy from China. Warranty on my router was supposed to be 2 years. This is month 3 of ownership and all I can get from the vendors is "don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of further help" when I asked for the name of the manufacturer. As soon as I mentioned pirate software he stopped communicating with me. Really strange because structurally the machine is not too bad. It's just one little word they don't understand — ETHICS. If you buy one, even needing to replace a lot of stuff it will still be cheaper than the expensive model.

Good luck
    Ryadia
    :cheers: I can relate on that LOL

An American, Australian, Western European machine goes thusly:

"We're gonna supply a machine" -> design it -> build up a pool of reliable suppliers -> get parts from quality controlled manufacturers -> assemble -> test -> hit up suppliers for re-work -> test -> sell -> deliver -> support.

In China it seems to be more a case of:
    "We're gonna supply a machine" -> copy a design -> sell it -> send off the BOM to all your mates who give you a price on each part -> choose the cheapest -> they give it to the mate of theirs who's cheapest, could be doing it with an angle grinder and pistol drill in their kitchen, don't care -> throw it together -> deliver it. It may be great, if the planets are in the correct alignment and the wind is blowing the right way. But it may be complete rubbish. There's nothing in place to manage production quality, which I think is the biggest issue buying stuff one-off from Chinese suppliers.

So they don't have the costs of R&D. They aren't bearing the costs of their supplier's quality control (coz there is none). They chop and change suppliers on a per unit or per batch basis so all their suppliers are doing the cheapest job possible. There's minimal post-assembly testing to pay for. Labour rates are cheaper than chips. And they aren't paying for a team to manage after-sales support. They're cheap.

If you're big enough and putting enough money through a Chinese supplier you have a bit of muscle to demand certain quality measures, and enough skin in the game to justify actually visiting the supplier and walking around their facilities to make sure it's a proper production house and not a bunch of kitchen tables. Which brings in the third type of machine - made in China but re-sold by a local vendor.

When you pay two to ten times as much for a local machine, you're getting something for the extra cost. Support, service, quality control and a warranty. Even when a local supplier decides to re-sell a Chinese made machine the price hikes enormously because now they have to factor in the costs of testing in house, returning every 2nd or third machine because it's rubbish, maintaining spares stock, handling training and installs and providing that after sales service.

If it's for a business that money is often worth it. Because a machine that's down for a month or needs you to spend three months in commissioning because you're fixing problems and replacing dodgy parts is costing you a whole lot more than the margin a local company adds. If it's for hobby use, well, direct from China is pretty good if you want to take the gamble and save the coin, knowing you might get a perfect bit of kit but that you have a fifty fifty chance of receiving a new project rather than a working machine.

You get what you pay for. If I were in the market for a ''new'' router I would be looking for a used USA, Japan, or European industrial class machine in that size. Mine is a 4x8 machine, almost identical to the first ad below, and I paid $1500 for it. Paid for itself in one job. A customer of mine bought two 5x10 Mulitcams for $12K for the pair, one with a tool changer, including two 20 hp vacuum pumps. There are some deals out there if you keep your eyes open, even if it needs some maintenance at least you are starting with a solid platform.

Here are a couple in your area that might be worth looking at.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...097857103.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/6082333787.html

You freakin kidding me?
    This sounds like an ill attempt at placing an advertisement.
    What are the policies on this site for promoting a product?
    Ni Hao Ma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a fourm here for lame duck advertiser trying to promote their products.

Before you start accusing anyone of subliminal advertising... List exactly what product you feel they are trying to sell. Then you won't be suspected of being an agent of one of the firms who manufacture the products being honestly discussed.
    It's a absolute fact that the largest manufacturer of CNC routers and Sign cutters in China sells their routers with allegedly counterfeit controller boards and conceals their true identity by using independent (Chinese) Ebay vendors to sell them. Vendors who have often thousands of positives for having sold dolls and chopsticks. At the very best the Chinese manufacturer copied a 3 generations old controller that the designer says was never meant to be anything other than a first TO PROVE A POINT. They (the Chinese controllers) are not capable of driving a NEMA 23 stepper motor at anywhere near the speed of the motors capabilities. Much less three of them simultaneously. Ask yourself why would an Australian (me) who got ripped off buying one of these routers be promoting "buy American" if there was a closer (cheaper freight) alternative they could get Australian consumer protection from?
    (end of rant)
    Ryadia

Well, if Trump has his way with foreign imports ALL new CNC routers in the USA will be home made......home as in made in the USA etc.

That interpreted means the home grown professional stuff you can buy in a shop will cost mega bucks so the home grown DIY stuff will come into it's own fast.......as long as the components that make up the internals are also home grown.

The frame can be wacked together by any competent DIY mechanically minded machine builder, just like they do with custom cars etc, and one CNC router basic design is as much like the next when it comes to moving the table or gantry etc.

Maybe that will trigger a rebirth of the home grown stuff you can get from people that you can get back to when something goes wrong......Chinese junk, Japanese junk........or shock horror, American junk all get the boot when it comes to lack of performance and being home grown does give you a more local feedback for quality.

With that scenario, you might as well buy a local made frame, or DIY it and install the electronics yourself......even a local made DIY model would be more reliable than a cheap as crap foreign import if it's made down to a price and doesn't work out of the box.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Well, if Trump has his way with foreign imports ALL new CNC routers in the USA will be home made......home as in made in the USA etc.

That interpreted means the home grown professional stuff you can buy in a shop will cost mega bucks so the home grown DIY stuff will come into it's own fast.......as long as the components that make up the internals are also home grown.

The frame can be wacked together by any competent DIY mechanically minded machine builder, just like they do with custom cars etc, and one CNC router basic design is as much like the next when it comes to moving the table or gantry etc.

Maybe that will trigger a rebirth of the home grown stuff you can get from people that you can get back to when something goes wrong......Chinese junk, Japanese junk........or shock horror, American junk all get the boot when it comes to lack of performance and being home grown does give you a more local feedback for quality.

With that scenario, you might as well buy a local made frame, or DIY it and install the electronics yourself......even a local made DIY model would be more reliable than a cheap as crap foreign import if it's made down to a price and doesn't work out of the box.
    Ian.
    I have a Chinese KL1212
    Has been flawless for 5 years.
    Bought it used only replaced 1 small ball screw attachment.
    Now I'm ready to move up and found a supplier in Canada that sells kits for great numbers. He uses 8020 extrusions and decent drives /served.
    I'd rather give my money to the Canadian gent of Polish decent any day of the week.
    If trump has his way......

Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    I have a Chinese KL1212
    Has been flawless for 5 years.
    Bought it used only replaced 1 small ball screw attachment.
    Now I'm ready to move up and found a supplier in Canada that sells kits for great numbers. He uses 8020 extrusions and decent drives /served.
    I'd rather give my money to the Canadian gent of Polish decent any day of the week.
    If trump has his way......
    Hey.. long shot.. and a couple years later. you mentioned you found a supplier in Canada with decent pricing. Any chance you could let me know who or where it was?

I have a self built machine, but am thinking of buying something much more rigid.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bsinnest View Post
    Hey.. long shot.. and a couple years later. you mentioned you found a supplier in Canada with decent pricing. Any chance you could let me know who or where it was?

I have a self built machine, but am thinking of buying something much more rigid.

Thanks!
    I’ll see what I can dig up.
    It’s been a while but the kits were very reasonable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Chinese built/supplied machine can be compelling on cost. Just be sure you specify exactly what you want (ask for photos) and exactly how you want it. They tend to build and supply "complete finished or assembled [but poorly]" machines by hand from a large factory that constructs frames that all "seem" quite similar but be wary of physical construction details WRT R+P/Ball screw designs, axes dual drives etc. Be prepared to invest personal time and effort to finish the product. This means strip it down, clean and complete (or correct) the poor workmanship and then assemble and align it properly.

Can't understand why they don't seem to use CNC machines to build CNC machines WRT the table and other mounting and alignment structures all over the place. Holes in random places and off center - it's amazing to have to wonder why. Haven't seen many good reports about their vacuum system arrangements so far...

As far as electronics go, be careful what you ask for or accept as what they provide. RichAuto DSP systems do not understand parametric programming macros.

Specify exactly what you want, (diagrams/sketches/pictures would be excellent) including which side/end of the frame the cables are as well as any external control box entry/exit points and/or controls/switches/indicators. For example, ask for an AXBB controller and specify ClearPath Stepper Killers or Servos with "BrandName Drivers" and you will probably get that but not if you don't ask.

Do not change your order once construction has commenced - they don't seem to understand changes may affect the build process but can't see why and how they could quite acceptably affect final (adjustable) final price (depending on the build progress and changes requested of course).

Do not accept "software" if offered as part of a package (unless licensing is stated), they don't give crap about licensing and will happily provide cracked/illegal software with zero conscience to piracy.

From a fully supplied and "assembled" kit perspective (see above about finishing the product) it's difficult to compete against raw price but be aware of used steel quality (exposed to the elements?) and paint and/or preparation of surfaces as used and even if a given "product" has a compliance plate along with a valid serial/model/date of manufacture sequence number.

Just saying...

you need to find a quality machine with good price

We have Good quality machine in stock

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ne-cnc-router/