584,802 active members*
5,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Gerber > My used Gerber Sabre 408 got delivered... Now what?

My used Gerber Sabre 408 got delivered... Now what?

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new here so apologies if this is in the wrong place or if I'm breaking some kind of protocol.

So I just bought a used Gerber Scientific Sabre 408 at auction. It came out of a working sign shop but it has no computer. Its the table (with router) , control pad, electrical cabinet.

We brought it in yesterday. I printed the manual. I'm getting a dedicated PC to run it. I'll have to get the software. Does it matter which edition of Omega I get? I'm waiting for the distributor to get back at me with pricing. I don't know why he's not more forthcoming. I've been waiting days. Are there any big oversights I'm making (other than the purchase)?

Thanks,

Mel

Re: My used Gerber Sabre 408 got delivered... Now what?

You might check out this thread on those machines: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/commer...-software.html
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Any edition of Omega should work. If you have cad software already you won't need composer. You can right click any .dxf or .dwg file and select open with => ArtPath and it will import it. It's best if you join your objects in your cad software before importing them into ArtPath. Sometimes ArtPath's auto join function glitches a bit. Sabres are great for thin materials the pressure foot is the best feature of these machines. I wish I had one on all of my routers. If you rout a lot of thicker harder materials expect to replace the lead screws every year or so. But you won't find a better machine for thin materials.

Mellafab
    I have two of these routers, they are great workhorses and I am sure this will serve you well. Omega is the best software to run this router although you can purchase others but I advise against that. It will not matter what version of Omega that you purchase, all come with composer, artpath to operate the route is part of the package. When you purchase the software it comes with a security key to operate the software and components, you can also purchase the option a "write only" key which is not expensive but worth having. Since I travel about, I have the write only dongle on my key chain so if needed, I can write a program and send it to my shop, my guys can save it on email and execute the program with no problems. Omega is a robust software, you can import AI, EPS, DXF, DWG, and PDF (as long as vector) and create a program to run the router. I have owned and operated one for over 20 years now, easy to maintain and repair if something goes wrong. Great machines, you did well by buying one.