585,902 active members*
5,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

importing chinese Laser Engraver question

I'm looking to buy an Laser engraver from G. Weike Model LC6090. My main concern is the U.S. Custom Service and what kind of hoops I need to jump through when the Laser gets to Houston. I'm told that I will need a 'bond number' and an agent to handle the paperwork in Houston. Has anyone been through import process lately?

Re: importing chinese Laser Engraver question

The customs clearance is at the port of entry into the US. You need a FDA form completed so it gets through that part. The seller or exporter needs to supply a approval form and accession (approval ) number. You will need to find and hire a broker for that and expect to pay around $200 - $300 , plus you need to pay Duty which in my case was about $120. But you need a shipper to take from the port to your place and that will be whatever they charge. Perhaps a good broker can also arrange that. My Fiber came DHL Air from China and the port was Cleveland. They took care of the customs paperwork but the duty was yours to pay. DHL also truck freighted and delivered to my place.

Is Houston a port city from China? Anyway if you go to that Port website they will have a list of brokers, but be aware there are some that are rip offs and just plain stupid.

Added, I had a G.Weike Storm 500 machine maybe 3 years ago and it had some minor issues that I was able to take care of, but all and all a pretty decent laser. Today its much difference I have heard some stories about lack of support and other issues. I purchased a Ray Fine, much better quality and I am very happy with my purchase.
    There are also some really good USA based companies who sell and service laser engravers, Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser USA, Boss, and I have one ordered from someone who I have dealt with for years LightObject. Just do a Lot of research and stay away from eBay and especially the K40 machines.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Lightobject has some 130w and 150w lasers in house for around 14 to 16k. They are in Sacramento, Calif. and will train you to use them.

Way, Way, WAY out of my pocketbook range!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gene8522 View Post
    Way, Way, WAY out of my pocketbook range!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you go to their website you will find some 80 watt machines like your wanting to purchase. For a lot less than the numbers above and remember these dealers stock parts, that work.

> Non-metal CO2 laser machine

Look at Rabbit Laser USA also I have no Idea where your located but maybe one is close to you?

Ok your in Texas.... just like Iowa a long ways from laser companies.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP