585,992 active members*
5,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Dimensions of Omniturn Tooling Plate

Omniturn makes a gang tooling lathe attachment with a line of tool holders that mount on a common plate. There appear to be several vendors of compatible tool holders.

If someone has drawings of the mounting plate with dimensions, I would appreciate a copy. I'm looking at converting my lathe to gang tooling and would like it to be able to use Omniturn style tool holders.

Thanks,

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

There's a regular on the news groups alt.machines.cnc and rec.crafts.metalworking named Gunner that is an omnitrun repair and rep.
    Contact him there or you could email gunnerlightspeed.net (replace with @)

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    There's a regular on the news groups alt.machines.cnc and rec.crafts.metalworking named Gunner that is an omnitrun repair and rep.
    Contact him there or you could email gunnerATlightspeed.net (replace with @)

Karl
    AT didn't print

Ken, if you get the dims, would you post them back to this thread?

Thanks!

BW

Tooling Mounting Plate

Hi Guy's,
    Could this be what you are looking for?
    Several people make these plates for Hardinge Gang Tool Retrofits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting Plate.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    Contact him there or you could email gunnerlightspeed.net (replace with @)

Karl
    An omni-turn repair and rep. wow those are hard to come by especially if you need a repair on your GT-75. (there are only 3 techs in the whole USA)
    I hope the tooling plate is the only thing that you would try to copy from that god awful company.
    problems problem problems is the only thing that machine is good for. With the exception of the last couple of months that machine would not run for more than two weeks at a time without breaking down. Multiple motion control cards, spindle problems, motion control cards, spindle problems, and on and on.
    Everyone will be glad to know if your machine breaks down, under warranty, they will talk you through the repair over the phone or send a SALESMAN out to do the repair.

But enough of that....I can measure up the plate on my machine, but it is mounted right now so I can't give you any dimension that you might need under the plate.

wow, thats kinda scary, i was looking at buying a GT III. i wonder why all the problems? can you email me to discuss these issues?

thanks
    Jerry

You should go over to Google Groups and do a search on Omniturn. There are quite a lot of posts there, including many from gunner. There certainly have been some problems reported, but there are also a number of folks reporting good experiences. I think your best bet is to try to get in touch with some shops that have Omniturns and see what they say.

Best,

BW

See:

http://www.snkamerica.com/Prod-pdf/G...Dimensions.pdf
    for the dimensions of a tooling plate. It appears that this is for the same tool holder design as the Omniturn, but I have no hard evidence.

If someone (HINT, HINT, msomerville)who has one would make a few quick measurements and compare them to the drawing, that might complete the story. The only area of real interest is the leading edge and the tee slot position and dimensions.

Thanks,

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

I stopped production just for you to take a couple of dimensions on the tee slot, except the smallest part of the "T" which is about .417 not .472 like that print shows everything else regarding the slot was pretty close. The tooling plate is only 6" wide not 7.244". and it is also flat on top. No recess like they are showing.