585,715 active members*
3,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > T-Slot CNC building > MY T-SLOT MACHINES: CNC ROUTER AND FOAM CUTTER

Cool MY T-SLOT MACHINES: CNC ROUTER AND FOAM CUTTER

I have always liked the practicality of the extruded aluminum. Very easy to build machines from the ground.

My last router was inspired by the Shopbot Desktop: I wanted something to be sturdy like a tank within a small form factor. It uses Leadshine drivers integrated into the machine body along with all the electronics. The ESS for the train pulse generator and a 1hp spindle form UGRA (first time to use a spindle, I was using a Bosch router and a super PID and i will never come back).

All the frame was built using extruded aluminum.

Attachment 362142

All the ballscrews are from ebay (linearmotionberings)

Attachment 362144

Just like the shopbot, the first proyect was to make a spoilboard and a magnetic dust shoe

So far so good, I been cutting aluminum very easely, just had to add some coolant, a choose the MD-1200 Microdrop.

https://youtu.be/fd2pTnycNtg

Currently im concerned about Mach3, i have read that a lot of people are switching to UCCNC, what do you guys think about it??

My last build is a foam cutter, and again i built it with 20 mm extruded aluminum, currently im working to improve the cutting speed and the cutting temperature, trying to add a PID controller, I'm looking for the right thermocouple, any suggestions?

Attachment 362146

Im using it with Simplify3d to control it, this foam cutter is powered by the smoothieboard.

https://youtu.be/AKgKzSsWntw

Re: MY T-SLOT MACHINES: CNC ROUTER AND FOAM CUTTER

What kind of tolerances could you hit with with this machine cutting aluminum?

Re: MY T-SLOT MACHINES: CNC ROUTER AND FOAM CUTTER

Thanks for posting this. I'm designing a similar but smaller machine that is built in similar way with extrusions and linear guides / ball screws. Hoping I can get similar cut rates and quality to yours when cutting aluminum. I found your blog and also thought that was good resource.

What stepper size / torque did you use?
    Are you using the 800W spindle you showed in the blog in that video?

Thanks!
    -Todd