584,812 active members*
5,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LNC CNC No RS232 connect

Thanks All
    Within the 2 months I purchased a LNC CNC machine, sold new in 2011 , date on machine is 08. Very nice machine , I have a lot to learn , I had a Hurco with conversational programming , and had figured it out , quit , not worth fixing. But this "G" code machine is all new to me. Well I have made a drawing of a part , got the CAM to post the G code , but cannot get it into the machine , got a USB to RS232 cable , driver , etc. I get nothing going pc to machine , machine to pc , and have terminal software to see if anything is happening , nothing.
    I have found in the machine books that on the RS232 instructions it shows the screens reads C:/ ...... but my machine reads D:/.... I am wondering if this is the issue. There is a ethernet connection next to the RS232 ? I'm wondering id the D:/ could be to the ethernet connector ? Would I just plug a eithernet cable PC to machine ? I would like to know how to switch it to C:/ , if I knew how. So far no help from manufacturer.

Anyone here have a LNC ?

Thanks Daniel

Re: LNC CNC No RS232 connect

Hello, i would recomend you to download the LNC M520 manual. I used that manal to connect my LNC m510 machine.

I wouldn't use RS232, there is Ethernet port as well. You'll need just ReCon Maintenance or ReCon Shopfloor software for Windows. Put PM and I'll send you a copy.

C:\ and D:\ are the drive letters in the PC or NC. It is the location where the software is looking to send (punch) or read the file. It has nothing to do with connection ports. You should be able to change this via your software. Most PC's have one drive and it will be named C:\. Same with a NC. so, to send a file from a pc to a nc, and the file on the pc is stored in a subfolder called for example Machine, then the send location will be C:\Machine\?.? (the ? is name of file) and the receive location would be C:\ or where ever the file must be saved on the NC. Generally speaking, you do not specify the location on the NC using RS232 as you simply tell the NC to receive the file and it is put into the correct location by the NC software. More important is to set the RS232 protocalls correctly on both PC and NC.

Thank you for your reply , I have the book and have had no luck with transfer ?

Many thanks for all the help .
    Just checked the blog after quite a while, Still no luck , at one time I had the machine not boot up , due to change's I made trying to "fix" it , that was a DOS issue , and now the machine is back to where it was. I now have DNC software , the RS232 to USB cable the software company said is "known " to work. I believe I have everything set correctly stop bit , odd even ,etc , found settings on both cnc and laptop , checked and reset , and rechecked. The laptop will send the program now ( lots of work to get this to work) but I cannot find it in the machine , or it did not take , or receive ? I have the books to the machine and believe I am following the file transmitting directions to the letter ? Another possible issue is , there is a Ethernet cable in the machine cabinet , could someone before me have set the machine up for Ethernet file transfer ? There is a Ethernet connector or jack , next to the RS232 connector or, jack . And changed the file transfer settings ?
    Many thanks to all for all the help.
    So close , but soooo farrrr away
    Chip less in Opal
    Thanks Daniel

are you still having issues ?

Make sure you are on the right I/O channel for the rs232

Thanks for the reply, No I am not sure about what your asking, that could be what's wrong? Would that be the com port in the pc ?I think that the com port is correct. My best guess at this time is the machine is not ready , I am unsure what sequence of keystrokes to have machine take file ? In edit mode? or auto ? It could be what you are asking about.
    Also someone else has sent me software and directions on using the Ethernet cable. But even with that , would I use a router ?If I could make it 1 time , I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

Thanks Daniel

It could be many things....to name a few I/O Channel being selected has to be set to RS-232 on the control. Com Port on you PC, you have to Have BAUD, DATABITS, PARITY, HANDSHAKING matched. what kind of DNC software are you using ?

I think you have found the problem , how to set the machine to RS232 at the machine , I have found on the machine and pc BAUD PARITY , and they all match , I guess that's correct , also saw a page in the books that come with the machine , all the settings BAUD etc match what's in the book , in case the machine has to have it that way. This I/O channel in the machine is what I don't know about , Or how to set it , turn it on ?
    Thanks so much for your help.

PS , I have not tried the Ethernet software yet , but it is by rhe machine maker , LNC. What I am trying is dnc4u , for the RS232 , with the USB to RS232 adapter cable that they say is know to work.

Well if you have an issues setting up your DNC or machine communications my company can do that we also offer DNC software and machine monitoring. Check us out sometime at Home

So you are a salesman ? This is a home shop / hobby use and I could not afford all that , I do have a standing offer to buy the machine for what I paid for it , if I cant make it work /or if I want to sell it.

Tech support but yes my company does sell machine solutions

Quote Originally Posted by danielslnc View Post
    Thanks for the reply, No I am not sure about what your asking, that could be what's wrong? Would that be the com port in the pc ?I think that the com port is correct. My best guess at this time is the machine is not ready , I am unsure what sequence of keystrokes to have machine take file ? In edit mode? or auto ? It could be what you are asking about.
    Also someone else has sent me software and directions on using the Ethernet cable. But even with that , would I use a router ?If I could make it 1 time , I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

Thanks Daniel
    Hi Daniel!

Please read the ReCon manuals which I sent to you, it is very simple procedure to make that LAN to work.

- check you LNC side IP address
    - check that you have ReCon mode in use (parameter 651 = 1)
    - install ReCon soft
    - put fixed IP address to your PC
    - open ReCon and add there your machine IP
    - enjoy fast program transfer

You'll see that RS232 is total crap after you have used that Ethernet connection. It is fast (10Mb/s) and bomb proof method to transfer programs without any useless button play.

And btw you have got very nice controller, 4+1 axes LNC M520HC, which has 512MB-1GB memory, so you wont need DNC to anything. I can say this because I have sold and modernizated CNCs with Advantech-LNC last 8 years

Put email or PM if you have problems.

Red face Re: LNC CNC No RS232 connect

Many Thanks to Jonne !
    I have connection , via Ethernet connection . I transferred a file from my laptop into the CNC , it show's up , I loaded it , an alarm came up 3002 grammer error , when I hit cycle start , But please keep in mind , my first auto cam , auto cad , try , I think that's where the issue is, But it will now transfer files , Just figure out the alarm , Cant wait to make chips !

MANY THANKS TO ALL , And #1 LNC tech Jonne

Thanks again , I will post again , after first chip's

Thanks Daniel

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.pnghttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.pnghttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.png

Update
    Many thanks to all . many steps , after getting the file transfer issue resolved , I could not get a program to run , post processor issues, I did not know witch post processor to use , tried many , tried editing , no luck. Then tried FANUC , came up with grammar error line 5 (that number may be incorrect , but was less than 10 ) deleted line 5 , then grammar error line 7 ( same , guess ) deleted that line ,,,,,,,,,,, Hit cycle start , cut air the first 2 times , then cut aluminum , chips at last !! The 2 lines that got deleted had words in them IE , 2D adaptive , other line that got deleted was 5/8 end mill flat end . so I drew the part , cad, cam'd it , transfer it , via Ethernet cable modem , to laptop , loaded program , MADE PART ! Chips and all. Now I have many more questions , but should be doable from here . Pic is upside down , Sorry

MANY THANKS TO ALL
    Merry Christmas

Daniel

Hello.
    Saw your thread and offerto help the other user with the recon maintenance software.
    My laptop crashed and I lost my backup copy.
    Any chance I could get it from you?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Allan007 View Post
    Hello.
    Saw your thread and offerto help the other user with the recon maintenance software.
    My laptop crashed and I lost my backup copy.
    Any chance I could get it from you?
    Cheers
    I suppose Daniel has already sent you the Recon maintenance softaware? If not, please send PM me and I'll give you a link.
    www.thelentech.fi ennenmikrotietokoneita.blogspot.fi