Login

Thread: Concrete VMC

Page 8 of 16 678910

Re: Concrete VMC

Looking rather nice.

Is the head two pieces for tramming?
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Yes the head is made out of two pieces. The gap between the 2 parts will be epoxy filled same as i gone tram my column.
    Head is now welded and this evening i machined the spindle bracket. The main block is now also epoxy filled.
    Plan is to have this all mounted on the column coming weekend.

Stef

Unbelievable. Now I understand why you choose that giant servo.

So your building a Milling machine with a router motor for a spindle? The project is interesting but whats the point?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    So your building a Milling machine with a router motor for a spindle? The project is interesting but whats the point?
    you must be confused... he's using a 3.7KW spindle servo motor 12k RPM (should weight about 40kg) + BT30 spindle unit, that's not a router motor... might not be the most powerful motor in the game but for what I see Tormachs 1100 doing with a 1.1KW motor I say he will be pretty well served...

you're getting closer and closer Stef, I should be starting my molds very very soon, just received the epoxy last week and got the sand yesterday... Now I need to buy some steel and wood for the molds... anyday now...

how much does that head weight? just the structure not with the motor and spindle...

best regards and keep the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by vakeiros View Post
    you must be confused... he's using a 3.7KW spindle servo motor 12k RPM (should weight about 40kg) + BT30 spindle unit, that's not a router motor... might not be the most powerful motor in the game but for what I see Tormachs 1100 doing with a 1.1KW motor I say he will be pretty well served...

k!
    Not confused except about the purpose of the build? He is using a high speed spindle motor for a milling machine or a router? Which is it. A milling machine is much different from what he is building, so it must be a router?

But this is a Tormach, (a milling machine) he is a long ways from that, https://www.tormach.com/store/index....00&portrelay=1
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

So a haas milling machine with a 12krpm spindle is in your opinion also a router?

Quote Originally Posted by stef110 View Post
    So a haas milling machine with a 12krpm spindle is in your opinion also a router?
    I also am very confused, because I have been made to believe that a milling machine should have a spindle capable of 10-12krpm. Where as a router typically has a max spindle speed of about 20krpm. My machine is also a cast build, with a heavy spindle head, and will also employ a 3.8kw spindle drive capable of 10-12krpm.

Aluminum as I understand it cuts best on 2 flute bits at ranges of 8-10krpm. So wouldn't this be a perfectly acceptable spindle motor speed?

Yes I am still confused because the CNC conversion on a milling machine I did, I could control motor speed down low enough for tapping and reversing the tap to back out. Peck drilling and etc all at less than 50 rpm, so I had no use for a Spindle that could run 12,000 rpm because I did very little aluminum milling. If he can not run at those low speeds needed, its a router. Well built nice looking, router not to be confused with a commercial CNC machine for milling.

@ wmgeorge
    There is a servo that will spin the spindle. so every rpm from 0 to 12krpm is possible including positional movements. So i think this build is definitely not classified as a router.

@ vakeiros
    The weight of the steel parts is 50kg. totalweight of the head is approx 120kg in total.
    50 kg steel
    9 kg epoxy
    37 kg servo
    16 kg spindle
    5 kg atc

Stef

Who ever said his spindle can't run at low rpms? It's a servomotor, it can run at 1rpm if he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by jackjr-123 View Post
    Who ever said his spindle can't run at low rpms? It's a servomotor, it can run at 1rpm if he wants to.

So whats the torque when running at say 10 rpm? So the spindle head posted, a BT30 the fastest speed I could find for sale, is rated at 8,000 rpm?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/223568416744?...SABEgIX4_D_BwE

lts going to be interesting to see how it turns out and what use he finds for it when done. Considering for the time and money he has invested in it, he could have had a commercial CNC milling machine making parts long ago.

He will get the rated motor torque (probably around 10-12 Nm for a 3.7kW motor) at 0 rpm up to several thousands rpms (2000-3000 rpms), and it will decrease from there.

The spindle will go as fast as its bearings allow. The taper as nothing to do with it. There are plenty of 24k+ rpms BT30 spindles.

So whats the torque when running at say 10 rpm? So the spindle head posted, a BT30 the fastest speed I could find for sale, is rated at 8,000 rpm?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/223568416744?...SABEgIX4_D_BwE

lts going to be interesting to see how it turns out and what use he finds for it when done. Considering for the time and money he has invested in it, he could have had a commercial CNC milling machine making parts long ago.
    My version is the 5.5KW and it's rated torque 26Nm from 0-2000 RPM and going down from there, so he's version is 3.7kW should be in the 15's Nm at least 0-2000RPM, and he will be able to make rigid taping up to 2000RPM so yeah... this is quite a router
    if you see the whole build he decided to go with the 12krpm considering to get a new spindle unit in the future since his version is 8Krpm max if I recall correctly. these motors are MONSTERS

PS. these motors support overdriving up to 30min, they supply a 5.5Kw driver with the 3.7Kw motor so it can produce 5.5Kw up to 30min without problems, it's factory ensured to work this way so those big facemill ops, and more exigent taping and drilling won't be a problem.

yes he could get a commercial machine for lots of more money, and without the thrill of making it himself.

exactly like me, I'm starting a build somehow like this one perhaps a bit bigger, so far I spent close to 12000€ and I just need to spend 4-500€ more to get all I need, including 16 tool ATC, controller, servo motors, spindle motor, drivers, and measuring tools (indicator, granite straight edge, and many other stuff), so let's say it will end at 13000€, I'd look for commercial machines and found nothing lower than 25000€ + import taxes that would be in the 30% range here in Portugal,and travels wouldn't be as large as the machine I'm making and linear motion also not as good as I'm using, spindle not as fast. so yeah I'll be taking time to make the machine of course I am but what about the experience of making the damn thing? and all we learn??? It's great building our stuff... I don't mind spending 2 months of free time to build the machine while not spending about 20000€... after all I'll never spend 20000€ worth of time building the machine... this is about me, and I'm almost sure it's the same for everyone who makes a project like this one.

So congrats on your work Stef, keep it coming, I'm really enjoying your build!

If I am doing the math right 12 Nm is only around 8 or 9 ft lbs. Does the spindle have reduction gearing? I would guess not. The one (BT30) I posted off eBay had an 8,000 rpm (bearing) rating and it was $300 USD.

Added: Yes you two are certainly talented and I admire your skills at machining. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by stef110 View Post
    Yes the head is made out of two pieces. The gap between the 2 parts will be epoxy filled same as i gone tram my column.
    Head is now welded and this evening i machined the spindle bracket. The main block is now also epoxy filled.
    Plan is to have this all mounted on the column coming weekend.

Stef
    Filling the gap while it's mounted or via the leveling technique you used on the bed?

And another way to look at wm's question is are there specific projects/products you have in mind?

Fill the gap once i trammed the head with the gub screws.
    No special projects in mind for this machine its an replacement / upgrade for my current g0704 mill. I use the mill mostly for hobby purpose and some small jobs. Mostly robot / battlebots related machining.

It would be interesting to see a couple of your Battlebots.

It would be interesting to see a couple of your Battlebots.

Here is one in post #7
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...ml#post2054102

I have been on last year series (2018) with team reality a dutch team. I normally build the smaller machines like max 13.6 Kg

Im the second guy from the left.

This machine i have build last year with my own team for a competition in Shanghai its a air powered flipper robot to shoot your opponent out of the arena. Its a complete custom build pneumatic system the only thing thats a factory part is the high pressure air regulator to transform the 200bar to only 30bar weapon pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O8qj1NAFAc

All parts have been machined on my 3 axis g0704 and with an manual lathe.

Stef

Page 8 of 16 678910