584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Concrete VMC

Page 12 of 16 21011121314

Re: Concrete VMC

Just finished painting the casted parts. Took almost a whole day to prepare the molds. First disassembled the machine then washed the release agent off and sanded everything. I used 2 component paint and applied it with a brush and roller so far it looks pretty neat hope it dry's up well. The color is Ral 7035 light gray.

Stef

What FI are you using in your controls box? Are you cascading them (is there another one before that one) or is it directly connected? Are you using a fiter?

Paint job looks great Stef!

Stop. Please... just stop.

You're giving me so much machine envy I'm starting to turn green.

__________________________________________________ _____

Seriously, though... nice work!

Hi Stef - congrats on the build. In the beginning you said 600x300x550Z did you achieve that? The table looks small maybe the scale of the machine makes it look small. I'm about to start designing a small epoxy composite machine as well. Thanks for the documentation. Peter

Thanks the paint job turned out pretty well, this weekend i gone paint the X axis saddle.
    Sorry ___Britt my apologies i dont want to harm anyone just try my best make my self a nice machine.

About the electronic cabinet. The big black box on the left is the Driver for the spindle motor 3 phase. The 3 drivers in the middle are the servo drives for the axis each one is single phase and connector to an separate phase.
    There is no filter or something in right now. Also don't have it on my current machine. If i get some weird electrical interference i will look in to the filters when its already to late...

About machine travels it turned out to be x600mm y300mm z630mm. The table size is also 300x600mm i have a little regret that i didn't order a little bigger table but for now it will be big enough.
    Z axis travel is quite long but the top 80mm will be for the tool changer movement.

Stef

Stef

This weekend painted the x axis saddle and the head. In the same color as the base and column. Before that i first installed the lubrication system because therefore i needed to drill some mounting holes in the steel parts. The steels parts first have been sandblasted and coated with a primer for better adhesive.

Also made a mounting plate for the lubrication pump and pneumatics. It contains 2 regulators, one for a automatic refill of the pneumatic counter weight system the other one is supplying the valve island. There are now 3 pneumatic valves. one for the drawbar cylinder, one for the ATC arm and one for the chip blow off on the tool setter. Also there is a pressure switch that will give the cnc controller an alarm when there is not sufficiency air pressure to supply the valves.

Next weekend final assembly and alignment can begin.

Stef

Lot of visible work done this weekend. Now everything was painted final assembly could begin.
    Counter weight system also turned out pretty well the head is more or less weightless the z axis servo has now less work to do. Already did a little bit of tramming on the column and after one hour playing with the setscrews the column is already square withing 0.04mm i also ordered a higher res micrometer to do the final tramming before everything will be secured with epoxy.
    Machine turned out so nice with the color in my opinion
    ???? next thing to do is making brackets for the cable chain to the head.
    And adding the lubrication system to the table. And wire the last things up.

Hi Stef,

Great work! I have really enjoyed following your posts. Would you be willing to share your CAD files?

Best,
    Nick

This weekend i put the oil system in to work, unfortunately the pump is a wrong one. It doesn't release the pressure fast enough after the pump stops so the oil blocks doesn't function properly. Need to find myself a solenoid valve that can handle oil so when the pomp stops the valve opens and release the pressure from the circuit so the springs in the oil blocks can shoot the oil in the linear cartridges and ball nuts.

Also milled the sub plate that's under the table flat so i have a nice flat surface where on i can mound the steel mounting table. Unfortunately that also didn't go to plan. After milling i wanted to check it but there was a error in the Y direction. Later i figured out with some help from Vakeiros that is had to do with spindle grow due to heat. So today i remilled the sub plate but before that i let the spindle run for an hour so the temperature was stable and after that i measured it again and on every spot on the table just spot on.

Today i also made a small movie trying to explain somethings about the machine. Its the first time i made such a movie so its not perfect and my English is also not that great but anyway here it is.

Stef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGoAUpOcpD0

Great work!
    How much error did you get the first time you milled the plate?

It looks like you video is removed from youtube btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    Great work!
    How much error did you get the first time you milled the plate?

It looks like you video is removed from youtube btw.
    There was a difference off 0.04mm from beginning of the table to the end. Yes the video get blocked by youtube so i made a new one

Stef

Been watching your progress since post 135. Awesome work! Always love seeing projects come to completion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imppresive work indeed Stef. Love you attention to detail. You applied several ideas that I also have for my ideal DIY mil.

I just bought similar servos for my mill (WMD30 with full rail conversion) as I had one stepper getting faulty. I thing you should be able to get 5000rpm from them (even although they are rated for 3000).

What parameters do you use on them? The chinglish manuals are not the best to understand how to tune the PID.

This is incredible!!!

@ devilhunter I didn't really setup anything yet there must be some kind of PID tuning in the driver that i wanted to test. But so far the servo's work really well Not sure if i can increase the speed on these servo's but 3000rpm 15m/min is fast enough for me.

Small update from last week and this weekend. this week i injected the epoxy underneath the column and the head. It was harder then i tough to do and one of the feets have failed. The epoxy was way more thicker then i could remember from the leveling on the rails.
    The left feet is only fillet for like 30 percent but i can redo this one after i reorder some epoxy.
    The other feet and the head are fine. 24 hours after injecting i tighten those bolts with an indicator on the head and zero movement so the epoxy did a really good job.

This weekend i installed the waycover on the Z axis. And did some more electrical wiring. Made a cable duct between the cabinet and the machine so the cables are all nice covert.
    Bought my self a nice new vice with changeable claws so i can finally use soft jaws. its a vertex vmc-6 vice. its a nice size for this machine.

Already want to show you guys a little about the tool changer. Im slowly gathering the parts for it and finalizing the design now. It will be a 18 position servo driven umbrella style tool changer. Its a 400watt delta servo with a 10:1 gearbox. The whole changer will hanging on the side of the column.

Stef

Failed feet.

What an awesome project!

Do you have any information on your spindle cartridge? Where did you buy it? Why did you choose it? Was there other options you looked at, but did not choose because of price/performance/whatever?

/Thomas

Great build, really awesome machine.
    I have run trough whole thread and maybe missed or it has not been said before.
    Where did you buy your servo motor for spindle and BT30 spindle unit ?

Luka

I bought my spindle cartridge from aliexpress almost 2 years ago, the same seller is still active and he sells them a bit cheaper now.
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32397...27424c4dhHklQa
    The servo is from szgh automation also from china. I ordered a 12krpm version after having contact with them they make servo's to your own specs.
    https://www.szghauto.com/product/115.html

Stef

Page 12 of 16 21011121314