502,238 active members
6,279 visitors online
Register for free
Login

Thread: Concrete VMC

Page 2 of 12 1234
    Registered

Re: Concrete VMC

This is a video I found on YouTube. It's not my video, nor am I affiliated in any way with the person who made it. I just really like this video.

He says it's "no name chinese 400w 60v servo motor, and drive is granite device ioni pro HC on video I have 15m/min and 0,5g but I can reach up to 30m/min and 1g"

I think he's using 10mm pitch ballscrews with some belt driven gear reduction from the servos.

Registered

thanks for the calculations. I have ordered a 750watt delta servo motor with drive. it is a 80mm side instead of an 86 size nema34.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/80mm...326080829.html
    I just gone test how it will preform on the X axis with a 5mm spindle. before i order the rest of the spindles.

Stef

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by stef110 View Post
    thanks for the calculations. I have ordered a 750watt delta servo motor with drive. it is a 80mm side instead of an 86 size nema34.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/80mm...326080829.html
    I just gone test how it will preform on the X axis with a 5mm spindle. before i order the rest of the spindles.

Stef

Ah, OK. I just assumed that the motor mount you have is for a Nema 34 as it looks about the same as the ones I have for my build. If I had the cash I would use the DMM 750W servo that has the same frame size as the Nema 34 so I could use the same mounts that I already have.

You'd definitely be better off with the 10mm pitch IMO, especially if using a Nema 34, but since you're using servos now, as long as you're happy with the top speed you can get, then it doesn't matter. The axis you're building now has the longer screw, so your tests should tell you what that is.

I really don't know what percentage of the time you can run over the continuous power rating though, and that is something I wonder about.

Looking forward to seeing this thing when it is complete!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    Ah, OK. I just assumed that the motor mount you have is for a Nema 34 as it looks about the same as the ones I have for my build. If I had the cash I would use the DMM 750W servo that has the same frame size as the Nema 34 so I could use the same mounts that I already have.

You'd definitely be better off with the 10mm pitch IMO, especially if using a Nema 34, but since you're using servos now, as long as you're happy with the top speed you can get, then it doesn't matter. The axis you're building now has the longer screw, so your tests should tell you what that is.

I really don't know what percentage of the time you can run over the continuous power rating though, and that is something I wonder about.

Looking forward to seeing this thing when it is complete!
    In the intermittent zone (IZ) maybe 3-5 seconds. 5mm pitch screw on a VMC is pretty common.

Registered

Your workmanship is top notch. Any factory would be proud of a product that looks like that
    i copied the quotation from NIC 77
    also for BF25 cnc mill conversion
    :cheers:

Registered

last 2 days are spent on welding the frame, after some welding took a break to let the thing cool down a bit. Next step will be heat treading.

stef

Registered

I'm quite jealous of the awesome looking stuff you're making. Keep up the good work.

Registered

Not much progress to announce, frame is right now at the heat treading company and have to wait till i get it back.
    Mean while i received my delta servo motor and drive and it looks quite nice!

This weekend started a new awsome project i just wanted to share with you guys.
    We are building a 1.5kg combat robot. The main frame is milled out of a 3.5kg chunk of 7075 alloy. And milled down to a frame of 258 gram.
    Frame is milled on my current g0704 mill and took about 12 to 14 hours including making cam, clamping and dialing in.

More pictures and updates on our facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/metalskullrobotics/

Stef

Registered

Robot wars? Ug. I hate that show. I want to see flamethrowers, robotic arms wielding spiked balls on a chain, sparks flying everywhere, jet packs, and sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads.

It seems like people just crashing their rc cars into each other to me.

Perhaps if I got into it I'd change my mind. Doubtful.

Very nice machining work though! You do make nice things! That was made from a single piece? Very impressive work.

I'd protect the battery. If those lithium polymers get pierced they will catch on fire and smoke like crazy. I know this from an RC plane crash.

*Registered User*

Quote Originally Posted by stef110 View Post
    last 2 days are spent on welding the frame, after some welding took a break to let the thing cool down a bit. Next step will be heat treading.

stef
    Great job Stef. I really like the way your doing your X axis. Looking forward to the rest of the build. Hope it didn't cost too much to heat treat it. Can I ask what the little unused cut out tabs are for.

Registered

@nic this robot will have a spinning drum on the frond with hardox teethes. It will spin around 12k rpm.

This is a render off what we are making.

@hezz
    Those cut outs are for tyraps to nicely order wires and oil lines.
    Had a email from the treading company and it is done so now i can make an appointment with the guy, who will mill the frame.
    Bye the way the heat treading was free, the company was very helpful and found it such an awesome project that the wanted to help me with it.

stef

Registered

Hey Stef, quite a few combat robot builders who took the plunge into DIY CNC here to feed the hobby. Love your bots and your mill build!

Zach

Page 2 of 12 1234