585,685 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Concrete VMC

Page 10 of 16 89101112

Re: Concrete VMC

Stef, you are an inspiration to us. Thanks.

What software did you use to design this project, and would you be willing to share your design?

Fascinating! Didn't know it could be done in concrete due to the material's natural frequencies/modes (fn). Was any vibration and damping control implemented during the built process/mix?

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mecanix View Post
    Fascinating! Didn't know it could be done in concrete due to the material's natural frequencies/modes (fn). Was any vibration and damping control implemented during the built process/mix?

Looks good!
    It is Epoxy granite. SILIMIX 282 I think. See post 62.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    It is Epoxy granite. SILIMIX 282 I think. See post 62.
    Ah. Thanks for the heads up, missed that part.

Epoxy, quartz, granite etc.. still aggregate :/ OP seems to have put-in a great deal of work and detail in this creation, would be devastating to have it fracture at the 66th part because he hit that dreadful 20~25khz for a minute too long.
    My advice would be to look for some sort of 'damping add-ons' if not mixed-in already (rubber based particles should have been added). A senior CAE could model his kit and sort this lil'problem, or at least work out his limitations (if OP has the mat properties of what he used for the built, obviously). my 2c.

Pretty damn kool machine!!! 1st time I see this. Thanks for sharing

Ah. Thanks for the heads up, missed that part.

Epoxy, quartz, granite etc.. still aggregate :/ OP seems to have put-in a great deal of work and detail in this creation, would be devastating to have it fracture at the 66th part because he hit that dreadful 20~25khz for a minute too long.
    My advice would be to look for some sort of 'damping add-ons' if not mixed-in already (rubber based particles should have been added). A senior CAE could model his kit and sort this lil'problem, or at least work out his limitations (if OP has the mat properties of what he used for the built, obviously). my 2c.

Pretty damn kool machine!!! 1st time I see this. Thanks for sharing
    Epoxy it self is great for viration dampening, that's why some of the most accurate VMCs in the world are made this way! great vibration dampening plus very nice thermal stability make these a very nice choice for casting...

Quote Originally Posted by vakeiros View Post
    Epoxy it self is great for viration dampening, that's why some of the most accurate VMCs in the world are made this way! great vibration dampening plus very nice thermal stability make these a very nice choice for casting...
    You are possibly right! Like I said, 'fascinating' project, landed on this page only yesterday and this is all new to me. I might actually take the required hour (or so) and read the whole thread! Not that I intent building something similar, I just find it absolutely fascinating and really hope this machine to work-out as planned for OP. I do however prefer old-school iron casting which you can bend, twist, level and adjust ;-)

Since you mention, any idea of who manufacture those precision machine-tools made out of aggregate? I ran a quick search and had a hard time finding who :/ Could it be that those are one-off (custom made) for a specific application?

You are possibly right! Like I said, 'fascinating' project, landed on this page only yesterday and this is all new to me. I might actually take the required hour (or so) and read the whole thread! Not that I intent building something similar, I just find it absolutely fascinating and really hope this machine to work-out as planned for OP. I do however prefer old-school iron casting which you can bend, twist, level and adjust ;-)

Since you mention, any idea of who manufacture those precision machine-tools made out of aggregate? I ran a quick search and had a hard time finding who :/ Could it be that those are one-off (custom made) for a specific application?
    I think Kern and Struder uses some type of synthetic granite in their machines.

Kern and others use "synthetic" granite.

I see. Yea, synthetic (top secret mix I presume), that would makes sense. Thanks for passing the info guys.
    Interesting stuff...

I see. Yea, synthetic (top secret mix I presume), that would makes sense. Thanks for passing the info guys.
    Interesting stuff...
    So epoxy-granite, like everyone else...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	granitan.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	425718

Machine envy... I has it.

I might have missed it earlier in the thread, but... it looks like the spindle is setup for an automatic tool changer?

KERN, DMG and some other, these 2 are on top of my head. when you see something like "mineral casting" or "synthetic granite" is always epoxy+aggregate now for the receipt weel that's the secret sauce XD anyway it's based on this...

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    Machine envy... I has it.

I might have missed it earlier in the thread, but... it looks like the spindle is setup for an automatic tool changer?
    yeah he will take care of that when the rest of the machine is done (assembly, alignment, paint, enclosure, flood coolant), he will use the machine to make the parts he need for the ATC. should be umbrella carousel type with servo motor rotation. I've been talking with Stef so I'm kinda in the loop XD

I really liked the sound of the cuts.

In the end you can tell how the mill is going to perform by the sound. Most hobby mills are light and have a higher ring to the sound. The buzz from yours has a nice damped solid sound. It really looks like this setup might be in line with a pro machine.

Really nice job.

One of my favorite builds ever.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Thanks every one for the kind reply's.
    Im pretty happy with the result so far. In the movie nothing was really carefully bolted and aligned. First want to have an proper enclosure before trying test cuts again.
    Machine is designed in solidworks so far im not planning to release the designs before its completely builded.
    There will definitely be an ATC on this machine, thats a dream from be beginning of the build. Like Vakeiros said first I want the machine to be fully functional and then as a first project i want to machine the ATC parts on the mill it self.
    Way covers will arrive next week. all parts for the Counterweight system also have been ordered and can be machined next week. Now its really coming to designing that freaking enclosure which is quite a pain in the ass...

stef

Stef

I saw a mention to a mark Muller vmc build but can't find it? Could someone kindly provide a link.
    Thanks

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

He has a few youtube videos which shows a lot of pictures: https://www.youtube.com/user/dernucky/videos
    He has a build thread on a german cnc forum which need to register if you want to have a look http://www.cncecke.de

Stef

Small update, all home sensors have been mounted and cable chains on the X and Y axis. Also recived a tool setter, today made a connection box on the side of the table so if ever needed i can remove the tool setter if i need bigger space on the table.
    Started designing the enclosure and controll panel which is quite hard to do.
    Im struggling on how i could best mount those doors and make them slide easily. Now im thinking on using those miniature linear guides mgn15 or so and mounting the doors on a few of those carriages.

Stef

Is the t slot table steel?

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Yes the tslot table is from steel i belief it is c45.

Stef

Page 10 of 16 89101112