Yes just to make sure the bottom of the column is strong enough. Not sure if it will help the strength but i let me have a beter feeling...

Last night i started on the rail leveling experiment for the Y axis rails on my VMC build. The base is designed in that way it can be machined afterwards but since its just so big and heavy i first would like to give this way of rail mounting a shot.
I saw this method on Mark muller VMC build so i tryed to copy it as best as i could.

Let me try to describe what i did. First of all i leveled my base as good as i could. Then in the front of my machine i mounted a round bar and leveled it with the water-level.
So for each rail the straight edge can lean on one "fixed" spot.
On the other side of the rail i made a stack of thin spacers to get the straight edge level again. Then removed the straight edge and put a PVA coating on the surface that later will be pressed in the epoxy. Next step is to make a dam to hold the epoxy inside. For the first rail i just used some silicon glue since i didn't had anything else. For the second rail i just bought some isolating foam to make a nicer straight dam. The ends of the dam i used the silicon glue again. Just right before the poor starts put some silicon on the ends so it can be pressed in with the straight edge. Then its just a matter of mixing the epoxy and poor it in. Then gently push in the straight edge and put the water-level on top to check if its still level. Then let it cure after about 12 hours i was able to push the straight edge out with a gentle push.

The epoxy i used is from DWH its the 310FL its a steel filled epoxy especially designed for under grouting rails and make solid connections between machine parts.
Tomorrow when the second rail is cured i can try to do some test to see how flat and parallel those edges are. I hope im on a good way with this.

stef