584,800 active members*
4,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Concrete VMC

Page 7 of 16 56789

Re: Concrete VMC

Yes just to make sure the bottom of the column is strong enough. Not sure if it will help the strength but i let me have a beter feeling...

Last night i started on the rail leveling experiment for the Y axis rails on my VMC build. The base is designed in that way it can be machined afterwards but since its just so big and heavy i first would like to give this way of rail mounting a shot.
    I saw this method on Mark muller VMC build so i tryed to copy it as best as i could.

Let me try to describe what i did. First of all i leveled my base as good as i could. Then in the front of my machine i mounted a round bar and leveled it with the water-level.
    So for each rail the straight edge can lean on one "fixed" spot.
    On the other side of the rail i made a stack of thin spacers to get the straight edge level again. Then removed the straight edge and put a PVA coating on the surface that later will be pressed in the epoxy. Next step is to make a dam to hold the epoxy inside. For the first rail i just used some silicon glue since i didn't had anything else. For the second rail i just bought some isolating foam to make a nicer straight dam. The ends of the dam i used the silicon glue again. Just right before the poor starts put some silicon on the ends so it can be pressed in with the straight edge. Then its just a matter of mixing the epoxy and poor it in. Then gently push in the straight edge and put the water-level on top to check if its still level. Then let it cure after about 12 hours i was able to push the straight edge out with a gentle push.

The epoxy i used is from DWH its the 310FL its a steel filled epoxy especially designed for under grouting rails and make solid connections between machine parts.
    Tomorrow when the second rail is cured i can try to do some test to see how flat and parallel those edges are. I hope im on a good way with this.

stef

Now you're just spoiling us!

A bit confused. The holes in the steel bar are for the linear rail or the bolts that anchor the bar into the base? Wasn't clear in that I see holes in the first image, but then you poured the epoxy/steel over the bar.

Those holes where only there to hold the steel bars inside the mold during casting. I now screwed in a grub screw and poor just on top of it.
    The holes for the rails it self i will drill later when epoxy is cured.

Started this morning with mounting the y rails to see how the epoxy turned out. After some measurements it seems the rails are on an angle now over a length of 500mm they move 0.04 from each other.
    Currently the master rail has been completely drilled an taped. Tomorrow i gone drill the slave rail completely and see where im at exactly then i can try to sand the difference out.

This afternoon after waiting 24 hours i could finally demold the column. The mold came even easier off then the base mold. The column came out super nice and its a beast!
    Its currently in the "oven" to have its post cure.

Stef

Today i fully mounted the slave rail, seems there was a small high spot on the end of the epoxy after sanding that down i get my rails flat with about 0.01mm now.
    After mounting the rails i mounted the spindle, the temptation was to high so i mounted the ballnut with an improvised holder and turned on the servo so see how it moves.
    This is at max speed of the servo which gives a travel speed of 15 meters per minute.

This week i want to try level the Z axis ways and mabye next week i can lift the column on the base if it all goes well.

Stef

https://youtu.be/m8BoCilmnog

That is so rad

Today the spindle servo arrived, dammmmm that thing is huge bigger then i had imaged.
    Its a 3,7kw servo with a max rpm of 12000 and it can peak to 5,5kw Will be enough i guess for my small endmills.
    That bt30 spindle cartridge looks a bit silly now.

stef

That servo looks huge. I believe you can use any type of tool with it. I can use a 40mm 4 blade face cutting tool with my 1.3kw servo.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

I have some serious spindle envy now..

This weekend managed to finish mounting the column rails and spindle mount.
    There went something wrong with the epoxy leveling so one of the rails i needed to sand to size to make the 2 rails parallel to each other again which seems to work pretty well.
    After that i was able to lift the big column on the base, now its starting to look like a real machine.

This weekend also the controller arrived to control this beast. Its an edingcnc cnc760 controller, a six axis controller with a 400khz pulse frequency also bought a extra i/o module to have more in and outputs for the tool changer.

Very interesting project, nice job
    I have a 4000# 16” gear head lathe with a 3700 watt motor (5hp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crowbar against wall to remind the mill who's the boss.

Some fine adjustments was needed to align the bold holes of the column. XD

Quote Originally Posted by stef110 View Post
    Some fine adjustments was needed to align the bold holes of the column. XD
    Just a little "tappy tap tap tap"

Not that much off an update, this weekend managed to get x and y axis to move. First i made 2 anti backlash nut holders there are 2 nuts in it pressed outwards with springs. To eliminate backlash because i only use c7 rolled ballscrews.
    Hooked the controller up to the servo drives to get it to move.
    Managed to buy a secondhand 17inch build in touchscreen for the control panel.
    Now i really need to finish the head design and let it laser cut.

https://youtu.be/vOtWfeSxJ18

Excellent work. So glad you have made it this far and brought us along with you on the journey.
    Looking forward to further progress.

Still working on the head design?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketflier View Post
    Still working on the head design?
    Steel laser cutted parts should be delivered tomorrow.

A little later then expected but the steel parts arrived yesterday. Seems to turn out great all steel parts interlock with each other.
    Hope it can be welded next week in small parts in order to not bring to much heat in the part. The big hollow square will be filled with epoxy afterwards.

Stef

Looking good.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Page 7 of 16 56789