584,842 active members*
4,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coloring engraved glass?

I have a springloaded diamond drag bit that I am using to engrave some glass cups. The result is ok, but rather faint (these are very fine lines)

I would like to color the engraved lines in a dishwasher-safe manner to make them more prominent but am not sure of the best way to go about doing this. Does anyone have experience with this that they care to share?

The best success I have had is drawing over the lines with a decoart glass pen, letting it sit for 5 minutes, then using some isoprophyl alcohol to wipe away excess. The end result of this is etchings which are more prominent, but they look "dirty" as the wiping process inevitable takes away some of the paint from the engraved lines too.

I'm thinking the best way to tackle this now is to apply a tape or paint the glass surface with something very thin that can be etched through, draw over the exposed glass with the decoart glass pen, allow to dry, and then finally use something to remove/wipe away the paint or tape. Now.. what this thin paint might be.. I'm not sure yet. Has anyone tried something along these lines?

Coloring engraved glass?

Re: Coloring engraved glass?

You might try the DecoArt enamels, which can be baked to survive the dishwasher (at least for a while): https://decoart.com/glass-paint/gloss-enamels
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Coloring engraved glass?

The issue isn't getting the material to stick to the glass (I'm using the decoart paint), the issue is getting fine detail since I have to trace over the etched lines AND surrounding area.

The masking paint is what I'm looking for here. Today I'm going to give a try with temporary window paint and then non-glass intended acrylic paint. I tried acrylic airbrush paint already but it immediately came off when water hit it (unsurprisingly).