584,812 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Haas Mini mill

Hey guys, I recently ordered a new Haas Mini mill. It has the 10 tool umbrella type ATC. I have read that many have had issues with this type and I think I understand why, but just would like someone experienced with it to confirm. I suspect that chips and coolant are easily slung onto the tools and the holder. It will take more effort to keep the tools and holder clean than other ATC types.
    If that is the case, has anyone added a skirt to each side made of transparent vinyl to help shield some of the chips and coolant?
    My machine should be here in 2 to 3 weeks I think.
    Thanks for any input on this or others things to watch out for.
    The only extra I ordered was rigid tapping. Otherwise just a base machine.
    Lee

Re: Haas Mini mill

We've been running a 2004 mini in our shop, for about 2 years. The ATC is enclosed, unless it's changing tools, so no issues with chips on the holders. The only issue we have is the chips clog up the coolant drain holes, and it spills out on the floor, so if you're making a bunch of chips, don't leave it unattended for long. I don't know what the new ones have for a drain system, hopefully they have improved on it. Don't hang any fixtures, or vices too far off the back of the table, you can run it right into the enclosure, check your limits before you run. Good luck with it, happy milling

Thanks, Ray. Good to know.
    I do know that they did redesign the Mini since then and the coolant tank and access for cleaning was one of the things they addressed. They didn't mention how the chips are drained though. We do have a fairly light chip load most of the time. We just wash down the Novakon Pulsar at the end of the day, so not too much.
    Lee

We bought our Mini Mill new, in 2006. Since that time, we have had almost no issues with the machine. They did replace the spindle just before the warranty ran out, as it was making lots of squirrel noises, but it has been great ever since. No issues with the umbrella tool changer at all. Depending on usage, I do periodically remove the bottom plate that holds the tools to clean out coagulated coolant and any chips that may have slipped in there, and to grease the tool holder fingers. Just a simple PM for it. When I say chips, I do mean a handful. It does not pile full inside there.

As to filling the bottom of the machine full of chips, that would just have to deal with how many chips you are making. We run some jobs in our Mini that can run 1000 parts and never need to clear the chip area, and others where we run 5 to 10 parts and it's full. So, as previously stated above, you just have to watch it.

:cheers:

Most of our production parts do not require much material removal. The chip tray is never really full. It is usually the stuff that gets piled up between the vises that we have to deal with. We use two double vises and run 4 parts at a time.
    Typical part cycle is maybe 5 minutes. Most of that is small drills and taps. All are pretty small parts too.
    A couple minutes wash down on our Pulsar daily gets it ready for the next day easily. I absolutely love that feature on it.
    Good to hear about the dependability. I will make sure I watch the spindle for any changes close to warranty run out.
    Lee

I have a 2006 SMM that I bought used a few years back. The only issue I've had with the tool changer is that the Z height on tool change was not dead-on when I got the machine. I had some issues where it would have trouble consistently tool changing when there was a heavy holder involved. Haas has a procedure posted online to measure and adjust this, so I spent the time to get this exactly correct -- and it tool changes perfectly 100% of the time now. I have not had an issue with chips in the umbrella, though I do not make a ton of chips with my machine. A little PM on the umbrella as gizmo_454 states is always a good thing.

I run oil in my machine, not water-soluble, so don't have issues with anything getting "sticky" at all. I did install a large filter canister on the back of the machine that I run the coolant through (5 micron sock), and I'm really happy with that setup.

I would recommend getting the high speed machining option on your machine if it's not included.

PM

Ahh. I really didn't think it would be useful for the HSM on here. I thought at the time that Fusion 360 could handle it. I have since become more familiar with how that all works and what the option they offer actually does.

It was the only real second guessing I did after the order. It will probably be added after the fact at this point. Probably a little farther down the road. I did show the Rep the parts we do make and he agreed that it may not be needed. It may well be worth the extra cost over the long long run.
    Lee

I have another question about the Mini mill.
    Do the leveling feet swivel? The slab this will sit on has a 4" in 20' drop. It was poured as an open parking space that I turned into an addition to our shop instead. The front of the machine will have the legs extended farther out than the rear. I could put angled pads under the feet if they don't swivel, but I can also get swivel feet for the studs. I would rather do the later. I think that would be more solid. I can get 4 for aboout $60.00 I think.
    These are 3/4 10 threads, correct?
    Thanks in advance.
    Lee

It's a rigid casting and does not even need to be leveled. Just level it as you feel necessary for coolant.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thanks. I just read the addendum to the mini mill and it does confirm that only basic leveling is needed for the mini mill. Fine leveling is not necessary.
    Lee