584,861 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Engraving lines from image

I have a drawing in Sketchup which consists of a fairly simple set of straight lines. I can export it as a bmp (free version).
    When I import it into F-engrave, set for engraving, the single lines turn into double lines, very closely spaced. It is clear what is happening, F-engrave is tracing both sides of the line.

This made me think I needed the drawing in a vector format. I downloaded Inkscape, imported the drawing and used Path -> trace bitmap -> edge detection. This gave me a vector image, I deleted the bmp.

Next I did Save As and picked the only dxf choice, Desktop Cutting Plotter (Autocad ..something..). F-engrave will only read bmp or dxf.
    I get a choice of using either ROBO-Master type of spline or LWPOLYLINE type of line. The second one F-engrave reports as "no image loaded", the first one loads, but the splines have made my corners *very* rounded and my straight lines curves.

Any other ideas, or how to fix what I've got?

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Engraving lines from image

I set up LibreCAD and drew the basic figure. This imports (as a dxf) into F-engrave with no problems.

Re: Engraving lines from image

You are not the first one with such a problem. Yeah, unfortunately, the soft is pretty bad optimized. Sometimes, it is tough to perform different actions that look really easy in the beginning. Still, the internet is full of various video tutorials where you can find out how to do it. Just take a look at some https://depositphotos.com/stock-vectors.html videos you might find on the internet. Try drawing the primary figure and import it. I am not sure about that, but it might work. You will find out if it works by yourself.